We found a possible cache in a field! Seated coins all over.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Sometimes the hobby catches you off guard!

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• 20220221_155909.jpg
    20220221_155909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 774
Upvote 80

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FINDS thanks for showing us

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Great finds! Im amazed how in olden times they put a hole through some coins. Iv found old coin like that but never new ones.
What do you guys think? They wore it like a pendant a lucky coin, or one other idea was they had them on a wire or something not to loose them?

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
So, what coins did you end up with and what did your buddy end up with?

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice ! Love the seated coins

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, what coins did you end up with and what did your buddy end up with?
My friend took home his 1876 Quarter, 1876 dime and his half dime. I got what I had pictured plus we went back a couple days ago and I snagged a KG2 and another 1853 seated quarter with arrows and rays. This one I gave a kiss. The coin was up on edge but it never sounded off like it was. Oh well....it happens! The imprint of the quarter had the rays still present. Love when the details of the coin are still there in the dirt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-065940_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-065940_Gallery.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220304-070022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-070022_Gallery.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 41

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TOTALLY AMAZING FIND !!! Congratulations again !!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to you and your detecting partner on the early silvers, did you guys find anything else of interest? :icon_scratch:
I love detecting farm fields especially on the periphery of old homestead sites. I've found there was often a lot of activity in these areas and have made some nice finds as well. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• WP_20161111_13_40_55_Rich_LI (2).jpg
    WP_20161111_13_40_55_Rich_LI (2).jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20141130_105428_resized.jpg
    20141130_105428_resized.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 20

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice John! I rarely find seated silver. I'm thinking that was a pocket spill that got moved around some by the plow.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice John! I rarely find seated silver. I'm thinking that was a pocket spill that got moved around some by the plow.
Thanks Steve! You know I was wondering that too. Kinda small to be a cache yet more than your typical spill. Strange but heck we will take it either way, lol. Hope all is well.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow, all that seated silver. Fantastic finds!

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
My friend took home his 1876 Quarter, 1876 dime and his half dime. I got what I had pictured plus we went back a couple days ago and I snagged a KG2 and another 1853 seated quarter with arrows and rays. This one I gave a kiss. The coin was up on edge but it never sounded off like it was. Oh well....it happens! The imprint of the quarter had the rays still present. Love when the details of the coin are still there in the dirt.
Sweet coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread