Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Civilman and I did some research with the Civil War Atlas
and Google Earth. We were looking for a site that may have
been overlooked for all of these years of people hunting up here
at Antietam.
We Found a site that looked promising, so we went this morning at
5:45 to hit it and just "check it out".
We hiked in and started finding bullets right away. My XLT was singing!!!
Things were lookinggood! By 8:45 I had found my first US belt plate. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Before the day was over, I had found the Belt Plate, TWO Eagle buttons
(I have never found anything but flat buttons), Two Washington Arsenal
bullets, a Williams Cleaner WITH the zinc still in it (another first), Three
pulled bullets, and a Tompion With the leather still attached!
This was by far the BEST Civil War hunt I have ever had!!!
Thanks for looking!

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: We Found a Virgin Site...And We Can Prove It

Dam Dude; that is awesome!
Research does work!

Is the break in the belt plate enviromental or war induced?

GRB

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How close to Antietam are you? Be careful. Isn't it a Federal Historic Landmark? Don't go to jail!

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!

Great job with the research, GREAT belt plate! congrats...should keep you guys busy for a while to come :thumbsup:

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

I'm not much of a relic guy, but a site like that could very well get me addicted to relic hunting quickly!!

Those are great finds...hope you get to go back and find many more goodies.

RAy

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Dam Dude; that is awesome!
Research does work!

Is the break in the belt plate enviromental or war induced?

GRB

I don't know how that bend go there.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

TerryC said:
How close to Antietam are you? Be careful. Isn't it a Federal Historic Landmark? Don't go to jail!
Don't worry Terry... we were born in the day but not yesterday.We have some nice private property to play in. :thumbsup:

Ty that was an awesome first try at that place,scaling the map's,google earth all paid off but I didn't think it would happen so fast.We literally walked 1/4 mile into the "jungle" and immediately started pulling out the relic's.And just think of all the other place's along the route we have to dig in :thumbsup: Congratulation's on a beautiful find Buddy and to top it off with one....no....TWO eagle button's was just icing on the cake.Ty called me on Thursday and said he had a dream of finding a Belt Plate....Guess what...dream's do come true!!!Again a Big Congrat's Ty :tard: :thumbsup:What's tommorrow looking like?If you can't go,I should be able to handle it :wink:......Call you later on!!

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
civilman1 said:
TerryC said:
Don't worry Terry... we were born in the day but not yesterday.We have some nice private property to play in. :thumbsup:

Ty that was an awesome first try at that place,scaling the map's,google earth all paid off but I didn't think it would happen so fast.We literally walked 1/4 mile into the "jungle" and immediately started pulling out the relic's.And just think of all the other place's along the route we have to dig in :thumbsup: Congratulation's on a beautiful find Buddy and to top it off with one....no....TWO eagle button's was just icing on the cake.Ty called me on Thursday and said he had a dream of finding a Belt Plate....Guess what...dream's do come true!!!Again a Big Congrat's Ty :tard: :thumbsup:What's tommorrow looking like?If you can't go,I should be able to handle it :wink:......Call you later on!!

I forgot to mention the dream and the fact that there was so much swamp area. :tard: :tard: :tard:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How close are you guys to Leesburg, VA? The battle of Ball's Bluff? I have a thought or two on where to recover a few hundred muskets..... maybe. I'm serious! I've been there and done some research but I don't live in the area. No way to follow up. Check out my profile and send an e-mail. I'll tell you what I got. Or no. That's up to you. BTW, good work! TTC

Attachments

• Ball\'s Bluff.jpg
    Ball\'s Bluff.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 13,092

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are finds like yours usually worth. I find a few civil war finds and I am just wondering. I find mostly bullets and little things. How much do the belt buckles fetch, what about the buttons??? I would love to find some stuff like that. Awesome finds.

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
zaxfire69 said:
How much are finds like yours usually worth. I find a few civil war finds and I am just wondering. I find mostly bullets and little things. How much do the belt buckles fetch, what about the buttons??? I would love to find some stuff like that. Awesome finds.

Where are you hunting?
Here is a link that will give you an idea on prices.

http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/index.htm

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
That's some great research and finds Ty. Congrats!!
Can we get a look at the back of the plate?
Was it a buckle or cartridge box plate and if a buckle ...arrows or puppypaws or peened hooks?
It's been a few years since I got a plate...I've almost forgot what it sounds like ...NOT!!! LOL

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
wildrider said:
That's some great research and finds Ty. Congrats!!
Can we get a look at the back of the plate?
Was it a buckle or cartridge box plate and if a buckle ...arrows or puppypaws or peened hooks?
It's been a few years since I got a plate...I've almost forgot what it sounds like ...NOT!!! LOL

OK, but it ain't pretty.......

IMG_5135.jpg

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Great find Ty, but it is a cartridge box plate.
I think you should be able to look at the link for the relic shop you posted and see the difference.
None the less Great find!!

w

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread