🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Wedding ring found against the odds and on its way home, updated with photo

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my Eagle Scouts is grown and has a son in our troop. He works at one of the parks where I have been detecting in the swimming areas. At our meeting he told me he had info on a wedding ring that was lost over the Fourth of July weekend. I had done some detecting there since the 4th, but not in the area where the ring was lost so I went out and gave it a try. He was pretty specific about where the ring should be. I covered a decent sized area and did find a gold ring, but it was a long way from where he said it would be. It was actually up on the beach about 3 feet above the water line and not in the water as I was told. I had found another wedding ring in a different swimming area so I thought there might have been some confusion as to where it was lost.

I called the contact number and left a message. A short time later I got a call back and we established that I had been looking in the right place. He described the ring and I asked about an inscription. He said there was one. He wasn’t positive as to what it said because it was his nephew’s ring that had been lost. He had recently been married and was devastated that he had lost his ring. The caller gave me the date that was in the ring and I said is his wife’s name Melissa? He replied “You found it didn’t you?” It was indeed their ring and it was the one I found on the beach. It had been lost while they were playing volleyball in the water and it must have flown off his finger and gone farther than they thought.

D0F50B74-CDC9-4D83-A172-493B70A1B7FE.jpeg

Normally when I detect the water I don’t go very far up the beach, only a couple of swings. But because the water was down so far I thought I might find some other goodies that were lost before the water went down so I went farther this time (I was going to harvest everything I could while looking for the ring) and that’s why I found the ring.

It’s funny how these things work out. The ring was not where I was told, I detected where I normally wouldn’t. They thought it would not be found, (The text to me said “never in a thousand years did we expect this to happen”) but reported it anyway (most people don’t report the losses). That report went to someone who knows I detect, because I detected his yard and have known him a long time. When I found this ring I was sure it was not theirs, but made the call anyway to be sure it wasn’t the other ring. Of all the jewelry I find this one was meant to be returned. Things just worked out right.

It really makes you feel good to help others. They wanted to give me a reward, but I said it was not necessary. They insisted and so I told them to send the check to the Boy Scout troop, a good deed is it’s own reward. I am hoping they will send a picture of the lucky man and his ring when it arrives there Friday, but you can never tell. I’ll update the post with a picture if they do. This is non class ring return number 18 and with the 19 class rings makes return number 37 in my 20 years of detecting. Not bad for an old man.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the luck guy with his ring back on his finger. The uncle didn’t tell him the ring was found. He also included a video of the envelope being opened and the look on his face when he found out what was in the envelope. I’m not sure how to post the video. I’ve never posted one before.

A154B98B-4B43-4BC0-8D3D-71D0A40D9F9D.jpeg

Thanks to all of you for the likes and the HONORABLE MENTION. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone can help me post the video your help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread