Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks its a wheatie.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

Saturday I picked up a friend of mine Becky (Diggitdoggie here on TNet) and took her to the Berg for the afternoon. I figured we would start at the area we have called the "wheatfield" because of the close to 3000 wheat cents that have been dug there the past two seasons. We hiked in and as I was hooking my backpack onto the same damn tree limb that is has hung from a hundred times before, I was explaining to her how simple it was to find a wheatie there. I turned the DFX on, ground balanced and swung it a foot or so and got the familiar tone. She couldn't believe that I had found a coin already so I dug the plug and popped out a nice wheat. While still kneeling I grabbed the DFX and swung again over the hole and heard another wheatie tone. "There's another one here". The Lesche popped out a beautiful silver disk. Man how I wanted that sucker to be a Barber...but it was a 1942 Walker.
DSCF1526.JPG
DSCF1529.JPG
DSCF1530.JPG
Hey..I'm not bitching...big silver's great anytime..and it has been a few months since I have dug a half. The rest of the afternoon we found only some more wheats even after trying a few different areas. Becky dug some wheats but I think the amount of old square nails at the wheatfield were giving her ACE250 fits. Later it was beers and wings at BW3 so it was all good ;D
My feet were killing me and I figured I'd just chill today and watch the Browns, but I woke up feeling ok and went back for another shot on my own. This time I hunted areas at the Berg I don't normally hunt, hoping to scratch up some more silver. Between Mirage, Nate and myself we have POUNDED the Berg and she's not giving it up like she used to. :D
I ended up with a few dozen more wheats and a 1936 Merc...well worn. It was in a hole with a cool "humidifier"...probably for keeping tobacco moist. (excuse the crappy pic, it was getting dark fast)
DSCF1533.JPG
Unlike Nate, I usually don't clean my wheats...just toss 'em into a big glass bowl. (it's about 10" deep with wheats now) but tonight I cleaned em and found two nice semi key dates.
A 1909 VDB wheatie
DSCF1536.JPG
DSCF1537.JPG
And a 1913S wheatie
DSCF1535.JPG
Stuff from the two hunts
DSCF1534.JPG

HH all!!

Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheati

Danimal said:
Denny, I even threw in the "lol" so you would know I wasn'nt serious. Like Becky said we are used to it. Jeremy, tell Lance cnngrats on the Barber half! It's on my list.

Hey just wanted to say, you all better be hitting the Berg kinda hard right away, like Becky Said, WINTER is coming and fast!.

I gotta get out more warm clothes. LOL I've had a hard time finding my darn winter gloves and stuff. Darn It.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread