Weird Gravestones?

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve always stopped at historic graveyards when I’m on the road for work and, boy, did I find a weird group of gravestones! It has led me down a rabbit hole of KGC codes and cyphers, which I never knew existed! This gravestone in particular, has upside down A’s & 1 V as well as backwards N’s & D’s, not to mention some very strangely placed dots. I’ve asked a few people if they’ve ever seen that before but the only place where it is mentioned is on this site. Has anybody else experienced this before? I’ll be happy to post a picture if anyone is interested or can help. It is driving me absolutely insane!

Side note: I got a metal detector for my birthday this year but haven?t been able to use it yet because I’m not sure what the rules are for metal detecting or how to use it really. I got a metal detector for my birthday this year but haven’t been able to use it yet because I’m not sure what the rules are for metal detecting or how to use it really.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’m excited to find new places to explore! I have to say, I have learned a lot about Civil War history

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool picture and welcome to tnet

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get pic either?

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here?s the picture!

I didn?t know if anyone would be interested 75497D73-C760-428D-9828-3AA25C652DA0.jpeg BF0ECBE8-7EC3-43F1-8D40-F504BF3E4FD3.jpeg

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could these markers be made from a mold and the person was just putting the letters in wrong?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always interested,that,s what we,re about.Now just got to get to the bottom of this.Thanks for the Pic.

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell stone for a living and it?s not granite, marble or slate. We are in a very lime stone rich area though so I don?t know for sure.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

Maybe the carver had a poor education maybe caused by Visual Dyslexia? Reversing letter such as D and where there should of been a zero.

Born bored shows language skill problems. Punctuation although the carver was aware of but not quite sure where it could be placed.

Since the person was 95 the person who carved this stone by hand may been a son or daughters in some respects age in their own right may in 70's suffering from vision problems poor education. There was many people in America at that time that could not read or write to the standard expect today.

Interesting thanks for showing.

Crow

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know he was a farmer here in Alabama & he enlisted in the confederate army - 3rd AL reserves. 9492D7EB-3B57-4717-AC48-2DFE57B05EA2.jpeg

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is entirely possible because looking at the census records from 1850, 1870, & 1880 in that area most ppl couldn’t read or write

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread