Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's very cool and sweet at the same time. I'm going with someone who just didn't know how to write. I think that makes it much more valuable.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's very cool and sweet at the same time. I'm going with someone who just didn't know how to write. I think that makes it much more valuable.

Who ever carved it regardless loved and respected the old guy by the simple fact they attempted to write some thing even when they was not very literate or even wealthy enough to pay a stone mason to carve it. So indeed the humblest of writing tells us much.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of strange creepy gave stones this one below.

Grave of Antoine Michel Wemaer, a merchant turned pirate who died in 1837

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crow

Attachments

• dGV6w0M.jpeg
    dGV6w0M.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 109
  • OE5qu2Yk.jpg
    OE5qu2Yk.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although this may not be KGC in origin, finding at this Gravestone has led me on a path of discovering historical facts I never knew about, so I’m okay with that. I never knew Bickley existed and there were an entire group of people who wanted to create the slave empire like Rome that wanted to occupy the southeastern United States, Mexico, the Caribbean islands, and parts of South America. I have my metal detector and I have my magnet fishing gear and I’m sure I’ll find some cool stuff to share with you guys on a later day.
Sidenote, I’m going to post the funniest gravestone I ever found.

She’s Aight…

79A7CE68-E544-4F07-BAD7-14E820EA44A3.jpeg 79A7CE68-E544-4F07-BAD7-14E820EA44A3.jpeg

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although this may not be KGC in origin, finding at this Gravestone has led me on a path of discovering historical facts I never knew about, so I’m okay with that. I never knew Bickley existed and there were an entire group of people who wanted to create the slave empire like Rome that wanted to occupy the southeastern United States, Mexico, the Caribbean islands, and parts of South America. I have my metal detector and I have my magnet fishing gear and I’m sure I’ll find some cool stuff to share with you guys on a later day.
Sidenote, I’m going to post the funniest gravestone I ever found.

She’s Aight…

attachment.php
/QUOTE]

Found this explanation on the quote:
"When walking around a cemetery, I often encounter the epitaph “she hath done what she could.” Now even without knowing any further context, the epitaph appears positive: a woman who strove within whatever particular limits her life held for her.But, as with many epitaphs in the cemeteries I visit, the sentence is actually a biblical passage with deeper layers of meaning. The quote comes from the book of Mark, chapter 14. For those not familiar with the narrative, during the feast of Passover days before Jesus Christ was arrested, a woman came to him and poured expensive ointment over him, anointing him. The disciples criticized her for not making better use of the ointment, such as by selling it and using the money to help the poor. Chastising them, Christ admonished them not to be so hard on the woman because “she hath done what she could.”
Of course in researching the origins of the phrase for this post, I have discovered that the phrase has been used as a foundation for many sermons and discussions of the proper place of women in the church, making it even more understandable why a family might place such a testament to the devotion of a deceased pious woman on a tombstone."

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of strange creepy gave stones this one below.

Grave of Antoine Michel Wemaer, a merchant turned pirate who died in 1837

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crow

Hola Crow

That grave gives me the shivers....

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

Here is another creepy grave stone with a pareidolia like face on the stone.

a.jpg

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigo

You have to stick you hand in the skulls mouth to find the key? Looks like some thing out of raiders of the lost ark or temple of doom

Arrrrgh!

Kanacki

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Just study this site. There is all sorts of info on KGC, your state, and how to use your detector. Youtube is a good source also.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for posting the pics. Amber. See how the people like it? When the OG Surveyors roamed over the middle part of the country, they put stones in the ground for marking the section corners. In Iowa there are some that should have been marked 1/4 to show it was a quarter corner stone. Best we could figure was the Surveyor made a template for his crewmember to use to mark the stones. The crewman got it backwards. Could it be the Monument Mason who made those headstones have done the same thing? As for the KCG, I don't have a clue. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

amberdextris

Greenie
Sep 26, 2021
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so I’ve researched more about concrete gravestones & I think they used a wood mold but hand carved the letters. It was obviously the same person who did all three gravestones. Whoever hand carved it, I knew what they were doing with the letters because some were correct and some were incorrect.
DEDA5A1B-EC1F-4DFA-A761-284F4DDE3F85.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread