cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this buried deep in the sand at a salt water beach. At first I just thought it was just some piece of scrap metal, but, after washing it off a bit, I could see that the plate had a fine mesh type pattern in it and two figures standing there. It measures 4" wide and 5 1/2" tall. Any ideas as to who these two are and what the significance of it is? To me, it looks like a man and a woman posing for some reason. The plate is made of some sort of non-ferrous white metal, and has some impact damage to it.

Attachments

• weird plate.jpg
    weird plate.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 159

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I found this buried deep in the sand at a salt water beach. At first I just thought it was just some piece of scrap metal, but, after washing it off a bit, I could see that the plate had a fine mesh type pattern in it and two figures standing there. It measures 4" wide and 5 1/2" tall. Any ideas as to who these two are and what the significance of it is? To me, it looks like a man and a woman posing for some reason. The plate is made of some sort of non-ferrous white metal, and has some impact damage to it.
Cudamark

I can clearly see man and woman,
Nice finding

Congrats

Keep detecting, keep posting and keep in touch
😎

Upvote 2
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find.

It's an old printing plate... probably for an advertisement. The couple look like they're all gussied up in fancy evening-wear threads.
You're probably correct, it's just that the printing plates I've found in the past were either lead or copper.

Upvote 3

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it could have been from a fold up picture frame and this plate may have been opposite facing the open faced photograph, and a ghost image formed on the plate...much like the endpaper of an old book may show the reverse image that lay against it for so long.......im just not seeing high enough of a relief image for it to be a printing plate.

Upvote 1

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I dont have the foggiest idea why these things are scattered in our soil, but I have found many over the years.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I was hoping for something a bit more glamorous! :laughing7: What a product name!

Upvote 1

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think these printing plates were often recycled for their lead. I've found a whole bunch in various locations (mostly from farmers almanacs? maybe sears magazines?) and several of them have been cut up

Upvote 1
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, if this was lead, I wouldn't have even posted it, as I've found other lead printing plates before....even copper ones. This was some other metal and didn't have much in the way of relief that the other ones I've found had. More like an etching than the high relief printing plates I've found in the past.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread