Welcome to the newly upgraded TreasureNet.com!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes think he means animated, mine was animated too and now is picture.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open forum avatar was animated

Yes think he means animated, mine was animated too and now is picture.

Unfortunately the new software does not support animated gif's in the Avatars anymore. One benefit is page size. For example, if you had a large animated gif (large as in amount of data, not physical size of image) -- it would take a long time for someone to download it, especially on mobile, and would hold the page up from rendering.

The software now automatically optimizes all uploaded images (avatars, attachments, gallery, etc) to reduce their size and make the site load faster for everyone.

Apologies on the lack of animated support, unfortunately we won't be able to add that one back in.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please check the first post of this thread as I edit my first post with additions/changes/updates.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately the new software does not support animated gif's in the Avatars anymore. One benefit is page size. For example, if you had a large animated gif (large as in amount of data, not physical size of image) -- it would take a long time for someone to download it, especially on mobile, and would hold the page up from rendering.

The software now automatically optimizes all uploaded images (avatars, attachments, gallery, etc) to reduce their size and make the site load faster for everyone.

Apologies on the lack of animated support, unfortunately we won't be able to add that one back in.
Aw man, Thanks JD

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just manually updated all the thread thumbnails in the "Today's Finds" section that are on the front page (for me) so you can see an example:

Instead of showing the users Avatar, it will show a thumbnail from one of the attachments uploaded in that thread. It's a quick way to give you an idea of what the content might look like.

Please let me know your thoughts.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a basic framework for the new Banner Finds add-on partially working. We will have to change some phrases, for now it's labeled "Golden Threads" -- we may stick to that moving forward, not sure. It shows up on the forum index page. I need to move a lot more into it but we are still testing things. Just a heads up.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
On the old forum, the names of the members ( and guests) viewing the posts was visible at the bottom of the page. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I liked that feature.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's standard procedure when changing url formats to provide a redirect page to the same content under the new scheme.

All my saved links to Treasurenet now result in a 404 error. That's bad practice and results in loss of users.

Please consider providing a redirect from the old content urls to the new content urls. It's a pretty simple process that would quickly give you many more page views.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Last night, the old forum was in READ ONLY .. This morning it was a 404 error. I kept trying to get on, an it finally dawned on this old man that maybe I needed to reenter a search for Treasurenet.com which seemed to work thank goodness!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last night, the old forum was in READ ONLY .. This morning it was a 404 error. I kept trying to get on, an it finally dawned on this old man that maybe I needed to reenter a search for Treasurenet.com which seemed to work thank goodness!
From the average users point of view Treasurenet just disappeared off the internet due to a lack of a general redirect.

I too searched and found the "new" Treasurenet by going to the root of the site. Most users won't know how to do that. With a simple redirect that wouldn't be necessary.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the old forum, the names of the members ( and guests) viewing the posts was visible at the bottom of the page. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I liked that feature.

With an add-on I think we can add this functionality. I will look into getting that going. (Edit: It will be about 4 or 5 days before I'll be able to add this functionality, so hang in there)

It's standard procedure when changing url formats to provide a redirect page to the same content under the new scheme.

All my saved links to Treasurenet now result in a 404 error. That's bad practice and results in loss of users.

Please consider providing a redirect from the old content urls to the new content urls. It's a pretty simple process that would quickly give you many more page views.

We have about 500 hand coded redirects. Unfortunately, the process is not "pretty simple" -- as the old forum software used some identifiers that don't translate. In addition there are a ton of anchor links that don't translate, etc. So, we've tried to get as many as we can but it certainly isn't easy or perfect and we can add more.

If you can PM me or email me a list of the URL's that aren't working properly I'll be happy to look into them. Please let me know, TIA. Email is [email protected]

Do you know what URL was still giving you a 404 error page this morning?

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the average users point of view Treasurenet just disappeared off the internet due to a lack of a general redirect.

I too searched and found the "new" Treasurenet by going to the root of the site. Most users won't know how to do that. With a simple redirect that wouldn't be necessary.

Which URL were you visiting? All the root URL's were working, ie treasurenet.com, www.treasurenet.com, etc.

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just manually updated all the thread thumbnails in the "Today's Finds" section that are on the front page (for me) so you can see an example:

Instead of showing the users Avatar, it will show a thumbnail from one of the attachments uploaded in that thread. It's a quick way to give you an idea of what the content might look like.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I like that a lot! Looks good and is also functional 👍

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of these might just be cached pages in people's browsers and they need to do a hard refresh???
Could be, I'm sure there are some URL's that people had bookmarked that are no longer valid. I can redirect them if I know what they are. I'm adding hundreds of redirects each day but I'm working down a list a few hundred thousand long of URL's that are only hit once... Sorted by actual hits is how I'm adding them.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
With an add-on I think we can add this functionality. I will look into getting that going. (Edit: It will be about 4 or 5 days before I'll be able to add this functionality, so hang in there)

We have about 500 hand coded redirects. Unfortunately, the process is not "pretty simple" -- as the old forum software used some identifiers that don't translate. In addition there are a ton of anchor links that don't translate, etc. So, we've tried to get as many as we can but it certainly isn't easy or perfect and we can add more.

If you can PM me or email me a list of the URL's that aren't working properly I'll be happy to look into them. Please let me know, TIA. Email is [email protected]

Do you know what URL was still giving you a 404 error page this morning?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like when you get a new CO, we always said " things are going to be different around here...not better, just different" .... :LOL:
If you re-upload your avatar you should be able to move it around and center it however you want. The importer is rather dumb and doesn't necessarily line them up very well.

We can manually change your username, just send me a PM (now called Conversations) -- if the username is not already taken we can update yours.

Thank you, the new attachment system is much much better than the old one. This site gets massive amounts of attachments and this should be great moving forward... we have some good ideas on how to make adding banner finds/finds much better than it is currently.

Once we get all the bugs worked out on this skin we might be able to get a dark skin going. That's a little lower on the priority list but it is on the list.
The problem with name ARC was it was already taken, that is what stopped it from being used by AARC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread