Welcome to the newly upgraded TreasureNet.com!

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Top Banner Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added a new feature called "Top Threads" - This will display the all time Top Threads in each forum section. With so many threads, sometimes the great ones get buried too fast!

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 7.26.55 PM.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, another nice feature....

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct... but this is um... heh...
I have very good add blocks... but this new system is overriding them now... personally i cannot deal with AD filled.
And it sorta pushes some (like me anyway) to make a decision... forced Charter or ehhh ?...Irritated away ?
If the ads continue to override like they are...
New users will be disenchanted quickly.

May have a solution for that, go to your browser privacy settings and disable third party cookies. I think one of the advertisers has a rogue cookie that's bypassing some browser's privacy settings. (Either that or something else fishy is going on regarding the ads). Wasn't getting past on Chrome, but did on my Firefox browser.

Disabling third party cookies worked for me in regards to a pop up prompt I started getting on every page using Firefox.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct... but this is um... heh...
I have very good add blocks... but this new system is overriding them now... personally i cannot deal with AD filled.
And it sorta pushes some (like me anyway) to make a decision... forced Charter or ehhh ?...Irritated away ?
If the ads continue to override like they are...
New users will be disenchanted quickly.

Great to hear...... :icon_thumright::headbang:

May have a solution for that, go to your browser privacy settings and disable third party cookies. I think one of the advertisers has a rogue cookie that's bypassing some browser's privacy settings. (Either that or something else fishy is going on regarding the ads). Wasn't getting past on Chrome, but did on my Firefox browser.

Disabling third party cookies worked for me in regards to a pop up prompt I started getting on every page using Firefox.

Nope, I was wrong, did not fix. 😡

What is happening in my case is that when I go to the Treasurenet.com site on mobile (my phone) it redirects to an App and tries to take me off my browser. And it does the same on both browsers, Firefox AND Chrome. Only difference is that on Chrome it doesn't prompt me asking if I want to leave my browser, just does it automatically (which is not a good thing, glad I caught it). At least Firefox prompts me first and gives me the option to say NO to the app.

Does not happen on desktop. I stay on my browser. Only occurs on mobile. Is the website now forcing mobile to use their App (and thereby bypassing ad blockers)? 🤔

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
The new feature with T-net now hosting videos is great. Nice to share those epic finds in video from your smart phone.

I take that as... YES, THE TREASURENET.COM WEBSITE NOW REDIRECTS AND INSTALLS THEIR APP ON YOUR PHONE/DEVICE FOR MOBILE USERS - AUTOMATICALLY - WITH NO WARNING TO USERS THEY ARE BEING REDIRECTED OR THAT AN APP IS BEING INSTALLED ON THEIR PHONE.

Rather sly and deceptive practice, IMHO.

By REDIRECTING MOBILE USERS TO AN APP you are Disabling their ability to Manage Cookies on your site, thereby disabling Ad Blockers and forcing Users to be subjected to Advertising Cookies that may or may not Track Their Web Activity.

Having the ability to ".. share those epic finds in video from your smart phone" comes at the cost of Losing your Privacy And Exposing Yourself To Unwanted Tracking Cookies.

I advise all Mobile Users to check their device for this app after using this Website, and Uninstall it if you wish to Maintain Your Privacy and Disable Advertiser's Tracking Cookies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take that as... YES, THE TREASURENET.COM WEBSITE NOW REDIRECTS AND INSTALLS THEIR APP ON YOUR PHONE/DEVICE FOR MOBILE USERS - AUTOMATICALLY - WITH NO WARNING TO USERS THEY ARE BEING REDIRECTED OR THAT AN APP IS BEING INSTALLED ON THEIR PHONE.

By REDIRECTING MOBILE USERS TO AN APP you are Disabling their ability to Manage Cookies on your site, thereby disabling Ad Blockers and forcing Users to be subjected to Advertising Cookies that may or may not Track Their Web Activity.

Having the ability to ".. share those epic finds in video from your smart phone" comes at the cost of Losing your Privacy And Exposing Yourself To Unwanted Tracking Cookies.

I advise all Mobile Users to check their device for this app after using this Website, and Uninstall it if you wish to Maintain Your Privacy and Disable Advertiser's Tracking Cookies.
Wrong, TreasureNet is not downloading and installing a program on your phone with out your permission, the site was built to accommodate smart devices It is simply a website, the same website you go to with your desktop. https://www.treasurenet.com/

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong, TreasureNet is not downloading and installing a program on your phone with out your permission, the site was built to accommodate smart devices It is simply a website, the same website you go to with your desktop. https://www.treasurenet.com/

I DISAGREE.

The App was Downloaded and Installed on my phone, without my knowledge or permission, and I had to Uninstall it to return to the site on a Protected Browser. While the app was installed I could not access my browser OR browser settings while on the "Treasurenet Website".

It's REDIRECTING......not just Smart Phone Optimized.

Perhaps you should check on that.

EDITED TO ADD: This why you are seeing Members using Mobile reporting they are now experiencing excessive ads.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DISAGREE.

The App was Downloaded and Installed on my phone, without my knowledge or permission...
Can you tell me the name of the software you uninstalled? I just searched the boards forum software (xenforo) site and their is absolutely no mention of a feature that automatically downloads software. If you provide me the name of the app you uninstalled - I will have a better chance of identifying the problem.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you happen to know what software (name)? Can you go into your Apps and identify the program? I just searched the boards forum software (xenforo) site and their is absolutely no mention of a feature that automatically downloads software. If you can identify the software - I will have a better chance of identifying the problem.

No, I uninstalled the App as soon as I found it, did not wait to check the software.

I also get THIS on DESKTOP using Chrome: Treasurenet.com shows as an INSTALL in Browser Task Bar and Browser Dropdown.

OIGzJBxl.png

wvXaXNbl.png

Other Websites DO NOT SHOW INSTALL in Browser Taskbar or Browser Dropdown.

7JbHqYWl.png

bucwKtLl.png

There is Definitely a redirect containing Harmful Software in use here. A Redirect that is a Violation of Users Rights by Installing Harmful Software without Permission, a Practice than Users can and should Report to ALL Browser Providers, ie., Google Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, etc. :stop:

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_scratch:

I just spent 30 minutes visiting tons of Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting forums, Metal Detector sites, Coin Collector sites, etc., etc - And NOT ONE of them had more than 10 Ads blocked - And NOT A SINGLE WEBSITE instigated an INSTALL on my Browser.

Treasurenet - 81 ADS BLOCKED / APP INSTALL INSTIGATED

SMDH :help:

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We know that change can be a difficult thing. We put off upgrading as long as we could. The old forum software hasn't had any new features or releases in a couple of years. In addition the old software did not support encrypted connections (HTTPS) nor many new technologies that make the site both more secure and much faster to browse.

To sum it up, it was broke and we had no choice but to change. With that change will come some growing pains.... the new software won't be exactly like the old software. We are going to be working over the next couple of weeks to make the transition as easy as possible. We'll be adding features as we go along.

We just got the site up and running after a long day of converting it to the new software. It's not 100% -- In fact, I'd say we are at about the 10% mark. So you'll notice the look changing, some add-ons will be added, and we'll have to implement some of the features that we had custom coded on the old site (banner finds for example).

Please be patient with us as we tackle this gigantic job!

Fixes/Additions
  • HTTPS Certificate Installed/Working
  • HTTP/2 & Gzipped Content Installed/Working
  • Original Poster Flare Added
  • Attachment Image Optimization (Currently Running....)
  • Added the ability to hide signatures (Via: https://www.treasurenet.com/account/preferences)
  • All previous smilies are imported and work
  • Look/Feel Changes (Also Ongoing)
  • Multiquote Enabled (Quote multiple messages in 1 Reply)
  • Automatic Thread Thumbnails added (See Description below)
  • Banner Finds/Golden Threads Replacement In progress...
  • Likes/Likes Counter has been restored.
  • Thread prefixes have been adjusted and include Emoji's now.
  • Number of posts/threads/conversations per page is adjustable on a per user basis.
  • Attachments/Images now supported in Private Messages/Conversations
  • Push Notifications are now enabled/supported
  • Thread Info Block added at the top of every thread
  • TreasureNet Web App Setup - should show up within 24 hours
  • Ads blocking forum content has been fixed.
  • Who is viewing/Has Viewed now working at bottom of threads
Priority Issues
  1. Banner Finds System (In progress...)
  2. Fix Usergroups Banners & Upgrades (Bronze/Silver/Gold/Charter)
  3. Get old Menus going (The Hunt Starts Here, etc.)
  4. Get old Likes imported to new system

The site is running on new hardware and with the software updates you should notice the website is MUCH faster. It also works very well from mobile, which the old software did not at all.

Automatic Thread Thumbnails / Added 9/29/2021 @ 12:30pm
We've added the ability for the software to automatically add a thumbnail to the thread based on the attachments in the thread. By default it will choose the first image you upload. It replaces your avatar with the thumbnail on the thread list. When you are making your thread you can also select which thumbnail image to use, and after you post you can also update the thumbnail on the thread view page by clicking the image/your avatar and looking for the pencil/edit icon and clicking on it. More information is available here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-thumbnail-by-addonslab.6265/

We can enable this for all forums, think we might put that up for a vote once people get a bit more used to it.

Golden Threads / Banner Finds
We are working on a new version of this since the old one will not work with this software. I've got some going and we'll be changing the appearance, features, etc... so it's a work in progress. You can see the "Golden Threads" on the Forum Index page for now. More info on the modification here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xtr-golden-threads.7891/
Will the new forum software work with the tapatalk app?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I DISAGREE.

The App was Downloaded and Installed on my phone, without my knowledge or permission, and I had to Uninstall it to return to the site on a Protected Browser. While the app was installed I could not access my browser OR browser settings while on the "Treasurenet Website".

Will the new forum software work with the tapatalk app?
No it does not work with Tapatalk.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far there is overall some great features with the new site.

Though there is one thing that maybe I haven't found the icon to do the feature.
That is for enlarging a photo of the members find.
Yes it will enlarge once then that's it.
On the old site I could click on the photo repeatedly and if the photo was focused properly I could view a macro of the find.
Query: Is there a button to click on to macro a photo?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far there is overall some great features with the new site.

Though there is one thing that maybe I haven't found the icon to do the feature.
That is for enlarging a photo of the members find.
Yes it will enlarge once then that's it.
On the old site I could click on the photo repeatedly and if the photo was focused properly I could view a macro of the find.
Query: Is there a button to click on to macro a photo?
I have already posted a request for macro or higher magnification, I will let you know when I hear back.

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a redirect that was breaking that... so I've removed it. That section now works but the bad redirect still might be cached. I had to open a different browser to verify that it now works. Not sure how to clear the cache on Safari for iPhone.
Thank you it’s working now that I cleared the cache on Crome.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DISAGREE.

EDITED TO ADD: This why you are seeing Members using Mobile reporting they are now experiencing excessive ads.
If apps was installed then you must have your's set to auto install, It was not installed on my desktop or laptop, I do see the request to install but app was never installed as I have both laptop and cell set to ask to install. VPNavy sees same thing as I, request to install but never installed.

Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, dammitsomuch!

The ability to edit past posts has been removed!

WHY?

Can't this privilege be extended to those whom have "Personal Pages?"

I promise that I won't abuse the privilege.....
I'll continue to add to the dictionary...

I'm still trying to learn all of the new changes, and, sometimes get discouraged in my attempts.

However, I will continue
Once again, Treasre_Hunter,
Thank You for being the "Point Man" on the New Treasurenet Site Conversion!

I know of and appreciate your dedication. :headbang:

I've been following your replies and most issues that I had have been resolved.
Why aren't you a Co-Administrator?

Best,

Scott

Hmmm....

I see that this post has the image "inline."

NOT!

Perhaps this issue has been corrected?
If so, will it be made retroactively?

And the spellcheck program Y'all have don't recognize "Southern Speak" vernacular. LOL!

Y'all git cha s'more bacon and grits in your breakfast.
How better to start your day!
Why, more butter and cheese, Please!

Attachments

• example.PNG
    example.PNG
    257.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah, dammitsomuch!

The ability to edit past posts has been removed!

WHY?

Can't this privilege be extended to those whom have "Personal Pages?"

I promise that I won't abuse the privilege.....
I'll continue to add to the dictionary...

I'm still trying to learn all of the new changes, and, sometimes get discouraged in my attempts.

However, I will continue to learn and adapt.
As is my wont.....

Here's an issue that I don't believe has been brought up....
From my notes.....

In posts I have made in the past, and added a photo, it shows "inline" with an "X" on it.
But then shows up at the bottom of my post.

A lot of times when I post, if the image is not shown "inline," the meaning and/or humor of the post is lost....

Example:

View attachment 1983506
(From Sept. 21, on a Personal Page thread.)
Perhaps it is the "file path" I chose?

Once again, Treasure_Hunter, my Friend,
Thank You for being the "Point Man" on the New Treasurenet Site Conversion!

I know of and appreciate your dedication. :headbang:

I've been following your replies and most issues that I had have been resolved.
Why aren't you a Co-Administrator?

Best,

Scott

Hmmm....

I see that this post has the image "inline."

Perhaps this issue has been corrected?
If so, will it be made retroactively?

And the spellcheck program Y'all have don't recognize "Southern Speak" vernacular. LOL!

Y'all git cha s'more bacon and grits in your breakfast.
How better to start your day!
Why, more butter and cheese, Please!
I found the edit ,it was located right of report tab on the left. 3 dots then if hit the drop menu the edit is hidden there.
More difficult to find, but cleaner look.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only allowed for so long, then.....
No longer allowed....

I just lost half of a post here.
Don't 'cha all hate that?
It started quickly backspacing and deleting my post as I tried to correct grammar.

I'm gonna sit out for awhile 'til all the dust clears.

Y'all be good to one 'nother and live life as you should.

I'm looking forward to awarding another Charter Membership soon!

Scott

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions