Went back out to the Treasure Coast and found something...

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove back up to the treasure coast on Thursday, stayed the night, and metal detected over 10 miles of beach between the two days. I found most of the same, rusted fragments of metal and random junk like fishing lures and even a portion of a dresser drawer a foot deep in the sand, but I did find something interesting.
turtleTrailFind.jpg

I took this over to the one Museum there and a person there said it is most definitely from one of the shipwrecks. They couldn't really say what it is and I can't either. It appears there was a wooden shaft of some sort, you can see some fragments of wood in the circular hole, but most of the wood is long gone. Regardless of what it is, I thought it was cool. Hopefully next time, I will find a silver reale.!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drove back up to the treasure coast on Thursday, stayed the night, and metal detected over 10 miles of beach between the two days. I found most of the same, rusted fragments of metal and random junk like fishing lures and even a portion of a dresser drawer a foot deep in the sand, but I did find something interesting. View attachment 1983221

I took this over to the one Museum there and a person there said it is most definitely from one of the shipwrecks. They couldn't really say what it is and I can't either. It appears there was a wooden shaft of some sort, you can see some fragments of wood in the circular hole, but most of the wood is long gone. Regardless of what it is, I thought it was cool. Hopefully next time, I will find a silver reale.!
It does look old enough to be fleet related. I never throw anything like that away when I'm down there!

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look old enough to be fleet related. I never throw anything like that away when I'm down there!
Ya one of the people at McLarty said it is most likely from one of the ships, so I was happy to find something that is 99% most likely shipwreck related. Most of the stuff I find there are thin fragments of old rusty metal that some people say might be from the wrecks and others say they are other things, so this is one of the first things that is actually from the wrecks.
Now if I can just find a nice silver coin with a Spanish cross stamped into it, I will definitely have fleet related material.!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like half of a ships spike...maybe a blind pin/bolt ? The hollow hole is where the iron spike used to be....the pin has rusted away and you have the the rusted conglomerate that formed around the object....a replica of the object is often cast from the piece you have by shipwreck artifact conservators !! Your piece can be used much like a mold !! Nice piece of history....congrats !!

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if there is something 'within' that conglomerate "ball" on the far right of the first Pix.?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like half of a ships spike...maybe a blind pin/bolt ? The hollow hole is where the iron spike used to be....the pin has rusted away and you have the the rusted conglomerate that formed around the object....a replica of the object is often cast from the piece you have by shipwreck artifact conservators !! Your piece can be used much like a mold !! Nice piece of history....congrats !!
Ya its hard to tell if the hollow tube area had wood or metal inside. It almost looks like wood fragments are inside but it could just be some rusted iron. The guy at the museum thought it was wood but questioned why would the conglomerate form around wood, so maybe it was a metal shaft.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

ee-vaq

Greenie
Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if there is something 'within' that conglomerate "ball" on the far right of the first Pix.?
I had hoped there could be some coins inside but the museum didn't think so. I don't know if you can even xray something like this to see what's inside since there is metal and shells/stones. Would be nice to see some round shapes stacked up in the bulge area on the one end!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions