Went Detecting and Got Busted

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it was a good thing...

Went on a couple of hunts this past week trying to put my new Coiltek 10x5 Nox coil through its paces and then using my trusty Deus at my Smokey's incredible relic farm site (Thanks for another fantastic invite, Smokey). Despite all the goodies we've pulled out of there, you work hard for it with numerous iron patches and high mineralization.

Tested the Nox coil out on a Colonial site and scored a couple of keepers at decent depth in sandy soil including a flat Tombac button and a brass makeup case with a fancy "wreath" design. Snagged a tiny flat button there when switching over to the Deus and round 9" hf coil in thick iron after Smokey spied the signs of a former MD Eastern Shore colonial home site (oyster shells, glass, pottery, porcelain, and lots of nails).

A week later it was off to Smokey's relic paradise site we have been pounding regularly for a few years and steadily since November when I got the privilege to hit it after harvest and deep discing and snagged a $1 gold piece, my first gold coin (see: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ssion-fee-1-dollar.html?highlight=Joined+club) and about 30 other relics - perhaps my most productive single day ever relic hunting. The site "refreshes" itself with every plowing. Anyway the finds were tailing off and this was the last trip before spring planting. Took the Deus out and got on the board quickly with a minie ball. Started pulling different types of minie balls including a .69 caliber "fatty", a confederate Gardner, and a really rare dropped .54 cal Merrill carbine, as well as some "generic" 3 ringers.

But the highlight was an iffy high conductor signal - hoping for any silver at this point because they have been few and far between at this site, lately. We have been depleting it of those easy silver targets. Maybe a merc like I've pulled several times before, or a barber maybe even another Seated Quarter or SLQ (I have several from this site). Little did I know that I would be checking off a bucket lister that I have been hoping to snag for some time now. Flipped the plug and knew what I had with just a glimpse. Welcome to the finds pouch my freshly dug 1835 Capped Bust Liberty Dime.

Some non-metallic eyeball finds and miscellaneous brass and lead fragments including a porcelain 4-hole button rounded out the day.

Enjoy the pics...

20210417_100733.jpg

20210418_195206.jpg

20210417_170453.jpg

20210418_195144.jpg

20210417_170429.jpg

20210417_170400.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 49

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!! Congrats on the great saves:icon_thumleft:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHHH MYYYY ! You got BUSTED alright!! That bucket lister is beautiful!! Congrats!! :headbang: Oh what else you find? Yeah that's nice to :laughing7:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a beautiful silver
Congrats

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet silvers and relics, congratz and thanks for posting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is a known site. I did not know that the first year it was detected. Also with a cursory walk through the fields, all I got was a plow share and a 1912 cent. Anyway, there is a rail line that was in existence during the Civil War a couple or so miles away. We can still hear train whistles occasionally from there. In the 1880's, a train passed through every 17 minutes. History tells us the Confederates were watching the trains coming and going just prior to the battle of Gettysburg. It's not that far away. Legend had it they were watching from a hill about 1 mile closer to the rail line than where we are finding relics. After conversations with the neighbors, I found out the troops occupied this farm, as there was no place to hide closer to the line and no water resource closer than where we were digging, and eventually the Yanks ran the Confederates off. It took two years to get that information. There is also evidence of two period or earlier houses there, and it is possible the men returning from the war brought home some souvenirs and eventually tossed them out. We have enough bullets for maybe 3 cartridge boxes only after all this time. A lot of bottles came out of one dump that was a couple feet underground, CW and just after. We have yet to find the house but I do know where there are two large concentrations of iron, so we haven't figure out the site yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread