western NC the Beginning

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madison County here. I spend lots of time in the Frenchbroad River in Buncombe County as well. These mountains are our safe haven! Home...
Learned some very interesting info here too! I metal detect along an old road just like those in the vid. Id love to find some of that Spanish silver though huh! Well worth the watch, and I thought I had seen all the internet had on the area. Thanks for posting!

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave, excellent video thanks for posting and sharing. Love history, for 30 years my business partner and I owned the McDowell House and I'm told it is the only standing house in the North Carolina for which a county was named. It was the home of Joseph McDowell who fought at Kings Mountain in the Revolutionary War we sold the house to the city and county and it is now a designated part of the Over The Mountain Men. It has been said that the line in Western North Carolina and Tennessee was decided at a meeting there. The house was built in the late 1700's.

Last edited:

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super interesting @Buckshotnc ! I'd love to hear what you found when you owned the property... given that you hunted it that is. I bet you found cool stuff even just looking with no MD or tools etc. My goal is to someday own a historic home. I am a go getter, so I believe one day I will. Not in the near future though it doesn't look like, unless I find a winning lotto ticket etc, maybe a way to turbo boost my profits here during the Covid Crisis! Wishful thinking. Id really love to hear anything interesting you have to say about owning that old house... treasure related or not. I'm just into the history, architecture... all of it! Not to hijack the thread of course haha!

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Believe it or not really didn't search the property, didn't get a metal detector until close to the time we sold the property however we had to replace a portion of the flooring to put in dressing rooms and bathrooms for our clothing stores and did find some old bottles & glassware. Now wish I had searched more. Some of the history indicates Davy Crockett spent time there with the Carson's & McDowell's and they raced horses between the McDowell House and the Carson House.

OP
OP
DaveSmith

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Buck and Mars. Was hoping someone saw the video lol. I had never saw it until a while back.
Buck, I am a member of the SAR, Sons of the American Revolution, and love the revolutionary history and heritage we have here.
Speaking of old houses, I met a couple that had bought some property in McDowell county that had an old, really old, house on it. While tearing it down they found (they showed them to me) what was a pair of child's shoes. They were behind a wall, one on either side of the entry door of the house. They had no idea why the were there. Either they were put there while building it or the wall opened and put in then closed back up. I have never heard of that being done. Don't know if it is an old superstition or what.

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer B 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Garrett AT PP
Minelab Pro-Find 35
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a home in Burnsville, would love to connect with someone in the spring to hunt

Buckshotnc! I hope you're having a warm winter down in NC. I'll be back your way (NC area) in April and would love to catch up out there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for this great video!

I'm in SW Virginia just North of Mt. Airy, NC

My ancestors were original settlers of this property - best I can tell from genealogy, that would have been early 1700's.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in Charlotte NC, formerly of East TN and drive through Asheville area often on my visits back to Maryville (Blount County).. sometimes I?ll take the longer route - Cherohela Skyway to Foothills Parkway - and explore the mountain villages along the way. Its humbling to think of the hardships our ancestors faced as they toiled to build homesteads and communities into the towns we have today.

The Appalachian forest bordering TN, GA, VA, and the Carolinas is huge. There?s still large areas that haven?t seen incursions by modern man apart from the occasional TVA or Duke Power worker.. wonder what secrets those lands hold ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveSmith

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been awhile since looked at this thread. Good to see some activity. let me know if yall meet up and if you don't mind i will too and glad to see the video was looked at. I just happened across it one day while looking stuff up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread