tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home a bit ago from the western Colorado back to the front range. There was a nice rain in the canyon on hwy 141 and I stopped a while to marvel at the spill way coming out of a cliff. No rain here at home, but in the high country it's not gonna be any fun for the ORT drivers as Vail Pass turn on the chain law effect sign. Sure glad it was 9am tonight when I had to top the pass, as that really gets to be a slow grind and worse if they decide to close the pass, then you gotta scramble to find a motel before they all fill up.

Attachments

• 20211026_074854.jpg
    20211026_074854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20211026_140259.jpg
    20211026_140259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20211026_143417.jpg
    20211026_143417.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20211026_174211.jpg
    20211026_174211.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 36

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw that rain/snow system sitting west of Denver. It doesn't seem to have moved very much. Chains! I can't imagine having to put chains on my truck to get somewhere. I think I'd stay home.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seasonal change!
Remember going through the pass in the earlier part of the 80's.
Just replaced the timing chain in Boulder, then the heater core started to leak something bad just out of Golden.
That was one cold drive over to the 15 to start heading for warmer climates.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that rain/snow system sitting west of Denver. It doesn't seem to have moved very much. Chains! I can't imagine having to put chains on my truck to get somewhere. I think I'd stay home.
Yeah it does at times seem a bit of overkill on some of these minimal snow accumulations asking these drivers to chain-up as I know many can make without a sweat up and over without chains. The real problems begin when the chain-up area is full and the a line of trucks stacks up to a stretch 2 miles long and the pass becomes dead locked. Years ago they weren't that strick about it. I did pass a truck or two half way up the pass that clearly decided the heck with chains. I didn't see smokey anywhere so maybe they got away with it. Some nights on heavy snows and everyone is just crawling up the hill you'll see smokey in a heavy overcoat walking right down the center with his flashlight looking for violators and instructing the driver he'll need to pull over so he can write him up.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seasonal change!
Remember going through the pass in the earlier part of the 80's.
Just replaced the timing chain in Boulder, then the heater core started to leak something bad just out of Golden.
That was one cold drive over to the 15 to start heading for warmer climates.
Sounds like some of the adventures I experienced back when I lived up there in the later 70s and early 80s driving RWD only vehicles. Sand bags and studded snow tires sure got me through a lot in a 73' Pontiac Bonneville. It was fun drift driving. The most fun was my 70' VW Kaman Ghia, but dang it was cold inside that little car and I shaved the frost on the inside front windshield constantly with a creditcard. In deep snow that flat underbelly would glide over the snow like a bobsled and the front wheels became rudders to keep it on course.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like some of the adventures I experienced back when I lived up there in the later 70s and early 80s driving RWD only vehicles. Sand bags and studded snow tires sure got me through a lot in a 73' Pontiac Bonneville. It was fun drift driving. The most fun was my 70' VW Kaman Ghia, but dang it was cold inside that little car and I shaved the frost on the inside front windshield constantly with a creditcard. In deep snow that flat underbelly would glide over the snow like a bobsled and the front wheels became rudders to keep it on course.
/76 TBird
Big 460 sled
Summer rubber
Comfortable seats
Running shoes
Basic beach wear
Jean jacket
Bag of smoke and some don't care pills.
But frig my feet were cold.
Warm breath in cold car, frosty windows alright.
No common sense times.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My drivers didn't say anything about having to chain up over Vail Pass last night, and I guess everybody behaved and it wasn't closed. We got maybe 2 inches of snow here in Frisco, but I drove over to Silverthorne today and they didn't really have nothin on the ground.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My drivers didn't say anything about having to chain up over Vail Pass last night, and I guess everybody behaved and it wasn't closed. We got maybe 2 inches of snow here in Frisco, but I drove over to Silverthorne today and they didn't really have nothin on the ground.
Yeah I don't know why they lite up the sign as it wasn't but a skift of accumulation up top. It was about 6:30pm when I went over. They were chaining up and driving slow grinding up the asphalt.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home a bit ago from the western Colorado back to the front range. There was a nice rain in the canyon on hwy 141 and I stopped a while to marvel at the spill way coming out of a cliff. No rain here at home, but in the high country it's not gonna be any fun for the ORT drivers as Vail Pass turn on the chain law effect sign. Sure glad it was 9am tonight when I had to top the pass, as that really gets to be a slow grind and worse if they decide to close the pass, then you gotta scramble to find a motel before they all fill up.
never knew that chains are required is that for cars and trucks..I like the beautiful scenery in your area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread