Wet sand any good?

• Thread starter GermanTreasures
  • Start date
G

GermanTreasures

I'm about to go to Italy for a 2 weeks vacation. The water will be relatively cold and dry sand staked out with sun umbrellas chairs, by the city that doesn't want detectorists bothering their customers. What do I need to watch out for, when wet sand detecting? Is it any good? I've read that you guys in the US do pretty good. Why do things get deposited in the wet sand? Will be using a Barracuda PI, Tesoro Stingray, if I can get it to function properly in the slt and my trusty White's Eagle SL 90 that doesn't like the salt too much, though.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things get deposited in the wet sand by the erosion of the dry sand by tides, currants, storms, not counting things lost in the water itself. Detecting any sand where people go is well worth it and retrieval is fast and easy too. You might be able to detect dry sand on off hours or rain days. You could also say you were hired to look for a lost item. If you have a business card, leave it with the hotel management and offer to split the reward with them if they find business for you. It's worked to get me into off limit areas, Greed......

You won't have much luck using the Whites or Tesoro Stingray in the wet sand as neither has a salt water mode and may be unstable. The PI however will have no trouble an you could do quite well. We look forward to your pictures and posts.

Good Luck,

Sandman

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
You could detect early in the morning and in the evening too.

Also look for isolated hidden spots were hanky panky could have happened.

Good luck and let us know what your finds are.

i thought metal detectors were not allowed in Italy?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lou423 said:
You could detect early in the morning and in the evening too.

Also look for isolated hidden spots were hanky panky could have happened.

Good luck and let us know what your finds are.

i thought metal detectors were not allowed in Italy?

OOOOW. You kill me lou. I made the mistake of looking at your avatar before reading your post! As I was reading, I was hearing Fry's voice in my head! ;D ;D

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions