South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to have less success when hunting the 600 when the soil is very moist. I hit a spot in a farm field last weekend and the ground was average moist for this time of year, and I felt really in the Zone with the Nox. Several nice deep squeekers and very few false hightones.

I went back this morning after 1.5” of rain last night and the ground was very moist, but not muddy, definitely still a good field to hunt. But my machine felt jumpy, I was not as confident with my signals and spent a lot of time chasing super deep rusty iron. I still found a lot of keepers, but nothing deep this time, typical 1”-6” stuff.

I have been using my standard settings (haven’t changed in like 3+ months now) Park1, sens 21, multi, horseshoe, auto gb, noise cancel, 5 tones. (Have not upgraded to F2) Used both the stock and small coil today with similar issues.

Any advice out there?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wet soil (not damp) ALWAYS makes the deep rusty iron "more active," in my experience. No doubt about it...

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try lowering the sensitivity a bit and see what happens. Adding the F2 iron bias option is recommended too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should really try the update. Both old anew iron bias filters are there so if you don’t like F2 you can always go back the FE without even having to roll back the SW. Couldn’t hurt.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should really try the update. Both old anew iron bias filters are there so if you don’t like F2 you can always go back the FE without even having to roll back the SW. Couldn’t hurt.

My fear of downloading this new F2 update is that I don’t want the software to disc out those tiny flutey deep keepers in order for it to reduce bottle cap / rusty square nail falsing. I am OK digging occasional false hightones as long as the occasional super deep keeper emerge. But if you are saying the F2 will help with falsing without sacrificing those marginal signals, I will give it a try.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can go as high as F6 before the masked signals start to get too scratchy in my mild soil. The new Fe setting reminds me more of the iron discrim on the Garrett AT series. F6 is going to be like 20-23 on the Garrett.

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started the thread about hunting a harvested soybean field. Got a lot of great suggestions and ideas from several posters. If you have not looked at that thread, go and read it because it was very informative and I will use all of the suggestions and tips for sure!! This field I was hunting was very wet and muddy. Was experiencing some of the same issues you described with my EQ 600. Had not hunted a field that was that wet/muddy before and like you, I felt as if the wet soil was what was making my detector act up like it did. Good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread