wet suit

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought multiple wetsuits used, different manufactures and the zippers on all have never been an issue. Are you buying on line or in person? If on line be careful, they run small, I have to wear XXL and I am not fat, 5'11" 190 lbs, wear size 38 jeans. If you are buying on line I suggest look to see if there is a local shop that sells wetsuits and be sure of the proper size for you. You want them tight, but not too tight and if they are loose they will not hold your body heat in.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking of ordering a 5mm rear entry wetsuit online from Leisure Pro. If someone has one, I'm curious if the zipper is good quality and are you satisfied with the quality?
Thanks
Check the reviews on the one your purchasing, I've found many will say what they have encountered. .... when it comes to wetsuits and drysuits, every one will be smaller then you think, it's like they make them for surfers or young bucks.. and not for old goats like me.

Treasure Hunter...At one time I was 5/11 but age and gravity has taken a toll... 5/9 and shrinking..

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang TH!
Your fitness for your age is fantastic.
I hope I am that lean in my Senior years.
Good job.

Thank you sir, I went from 228 to 190 lbs over the last 15 months, I never went on a diet, I just stopped eating when I wasn't hungry especially at night while watching TV. I also started back at the gym working out 3-5 days a week for the last 6 months, usually 1.5 hrs, aerobic and weight lifting. Now I get full sooner than I use to at meals, I rarely eat any kind of sweets, or chips or ice cream.

I took a break from the gym the last 2 weeks as my shoulders were starting to hurt, I thought it was because I was pushing too much weight, but after 2 weeks off I think it is both a combination of the weight and arthritis, I have had rotor cuff surgery on both shoulders. Doesn't hurt so bad that I need pain killers and rarely use Ibuprofen. Hot showers really help.

When I snack it is usually nuts and fruit, low sugar trail mix with almonds, peanuts, cashews, pecans, raisins, cranberries, strawberries, blue and black berries is what I usually snack on. Wife being Asian we eat Asian meals most time, lots of fish, lean pork, chicken, beans, low fat, low grease and lots of veggies. We eat a lot of home made soups, pork, chicken, beef and fish filled with cabbage, bell peppers, moringa, ginger and onions. Our rice cooker runs 24/7/365 days week with a equal mixture of brown, wild and jasmine rice.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO Try before you buy. wetsuits are like shoes they either fit or they don’t. Too tight, can’t get in and out of them, too loose, don’t work properly. Everyones body and shape are different. Years ago I was dead set on a US Divers suit. Top fit great, bibs didn’t fit at all with my skinny legs. Had to try 2-3 brands before I found a good fit. Wound up with a Henderson One of my Buddies Wife is tall and on the top heavy side, she had to have one custom made.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lucked out at thrift stores and found a cold water suit and a spring suit for $15 and $5 that fit well. I'm a cheapskate so they are perfect for me. Keep your eyes open or call around.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the smart thing. I went to a Dive Shop and tried a XXL Henderson front zip 5mm shorty. The salesman said they run a little on the small size so I ordered a 3xl 2 14Kt rings paid for that. I also got some nice hard bottom dive boots and a weight belt. When I get 2 or 3 more gold rings I'll buy the 5mm Farmer John, hood and gloves. I like that Henderson is made in America. When I was young, the cold water at Memorial Day didn't bother me. My friends and I would jump off a 65 ft. bridge into the Back River or the first timers would jump off the girders (40 ft.). Now at 71 I don't think I'd be comfortable waist to chest deep in 68-72 degree water for too long without a wetsuit. I'm also hoping that the White sharks don't start showing up in Nantucket Sound along the South facing beaches. Unfortunately, now a days they are in Cape Cod Bay, all along the Cape Cod National Seashore and Northward up to Maine and beyond. Years ago, there was a bounty on seal noses ( someone told me that many years ago). I know from reading news that deer herds are thinned out from time to time. Probably thanks to PETA and Environmental Freaks the White Shark population has exploded over the last 20 years. If we thinned out the seal population in MA which I believe is estimated at 30,000 to 50,000 (2017) perhaps the White sharks would go elsewhere or simply stay on Cape Cod and feast on beach-goers

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I'm happy with mine (5mm, back zipper) from Leisurepro. BUT, I've only used it a couple times so far. I use my shorty 3mm in the local fresh water holes.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Henderson is a good name and should be easy to get on, better quality the suit, the easier to get on and off.
Just wondering why you went with the shorty being you have cooler waters. I just hit 69 and I don't see me handling the cold as well without good coverage.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shorty has long sleeves and the leg comes to above my knee. The water temp is much warmer in Nantucket Sound at waist to chest deep as compared to the shark infested waters on East facing beaches which might reach 66 degrees by Sept. If I'm wrong, I'll get the Farmer Johns sooner than later

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread