Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would you donate this piece to?

I have just about made up my mind to donate the badge I found a few years ago but don't know which site to give it to.
A brief history of it: It is a fireman's badge from the fire truck "Spiggot". The Spiggot was the first fire truck in Methuen, Ma and dates to the early 1840s. As near as I can figure it belonged to a Union soldier who was captured at Spotsylvania and sent to Andersonville prison where he died and was buried. I found the badge about 30 miles from the prison at an abandoned town site.
Now, here is the question,Would you donate it to the Methuen, Ma. Fire Department museum as it is the only known relic from the Spiggot. Or, would you give it to the Andersonville POW museum where the soldier who carried it into battle lays in rest?
I will add that a member of the Methuen FD helped me in my research. But, my computer died a while back and I lost all contact info with him. I know I can get back in touch but I need to decide which way to go before doing so.
As you can see, the badge itself is not very impressive but the history behind it makes it my best find.

Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will also add this. Research did not show his name on the FD roster but it showed others with the same last name. It may have been given to him as a keepsake.
His name does show on the civil war roster as being part of the Heavy Artillery unit from Ma.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just put it on ebay and try to make a buck or two from it...

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
I think the fire dept. would appreciate it more than a museum. In a museum it would just be lost among everything else.
The fire dept. would likely display it in a spot where it would be scene and appreciated every day. It would be nice to mount it on a plaque with the known history of it along with your name and the story of how and where you found it. After all, YOU are now part of it's history.
Cool story.

HH
Lance

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just put it on ebay and try to make a buck or two from it...

I totally agree... for three reasons.

1) As nice as a donation is, and makes you feel good, the truth is most people really don't give a damn, but if something is free, they'll take it!

2) Selling it at auction a true collector will become the owner and appreciate it.

3) You make a few bucks. It's your find from your hard work, and you deserve it.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fyrfftyr1!! I would recommend giving it to the local Methuen FD, in light of the individual's service to our Nation, during a very difficult episode in our Country's History!! In Any Event, Thanks for Sharing a unique historical treasure with ALL!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of bucks is just what it might go for!
The condition is rough and what if there aren't any collectors interested or present for the bidding?
Imagine selling that for a few dollars when it could go to the fire department where it originated.
Call up the local paper and have them do an article on "Spiggot" and your find with you donating it and give some good publicity to the hobby.
Man, they don't even have anything in their museum about Spiggot!
I have no problem with what you decide but found it interesting that you seem set on donating it and 3 out of the 6 replies were suggesting you sell it.
Money, money, money.
Great find!
Cheers,
Dave.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Get smart sell it ..... The F.D. don't need it ... I don't give things to any government agency........ hell we have so many crooked firemen in this area they should fire them all............

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the fire department going to do with it? Put it in a display with a bit of history, or simply toss it in a cabinet to be forgotten about, and either end up in the trash or going home in a volunteers pocket.

Perhaps you can make up a display with the history and loan it to a museum? Being a collector of antique items, something that I learned over the years is that most people could care less about history or old things.

Kascus

Dec 27, 2012
Pensacola, Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donate it to the Methuen FD museum. You can talk with them and gauge their interest first and determine if they will display it or tuck it away.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little surprised that no one said to try to track down the family and see if they want it back. I have talked to the Methuen fire department historian a few years back and he was very interested in it. But, that was before I decided to donate it. I will call the FD again and see if I get the same interest.
I would not even consider selling it. But, thanks for the suggestion to do so.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a collector of antique items, something that I learned over the years is that most people could care less about history or old things.

Yep, but for some reason many people who have the passion can't seem to get it through their heads that most don't care, and as I said above if you offer something for free, anyone will gladly take it... and more than likely they will eventually sell it. If I ever decided to donate my collection of dug finds it would never be to an organization, it would be to people I know who detect. They would get it all.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't give it to any museum. I've been screwed over on several items that were donated to museums. Stuff I donated is not on display,
and a family hair wreath that was loaned is now somehow their property. I think loaning it to be put on display at the fire department
might be the wise way to go. That way you still own it and have some say if they decide they no longer want it. If you will become
independently wealthy selling it, that's also an option, but it probably has nobody interest beyond the fire department.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree to give it to the Methuen FD! Most of the FD's around here have Memorial Displays to remember falling Firemen and if the Union Soldier or his family served as Firemen with the FD there, it would only be fitting that he is remembered in this manner for his sacrifice along with the fallen Firemen.

Frank

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with those who say to donate it to the fire department, they would have a strong connection to the item. If you could find a heir to the person it belonged to, I would say give it to them above all others, or sell it. Like others said, someone willing to pay for it would most likely appreciate it the most.

Just my 2 Lincolns. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would keep it if I were you. But if it went on eBay ID buy it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread