Whaling Captain's Copper Snuff Box?

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small copper box a few weeks ago at one of my permission sites. At the time I felt bad for not being careful and forcefully snapping the lid off while trying to open it. The box had a tight, well-aligned fit. I didn't clean it (most of my finds I do not clean). Only yesterday did I take a closer look and found an inscription. And today through research of my town's historical record did I find who I think was the owner.

The initials A.K. match that of Abraham King, a whaling boat Captain (1819 - 1902) who made a total of 7 trips around Cape Horn. (See the last photo attached here). My 1870's map show the property was owned by Kings, and the neighboring property belonged to his mother's family. The depiction of a whale etched below the initials gives the theory weight.

Finds like this, backed by historical research and a face to match, are what make this hobby exciting for me, regardless of the what monetary value the piece may actually have.

Attachments

• tres362.jpg
    tres362.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 136
  • tres363.jpg
    tres363.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 101
  • tres364.jpg
    tres364.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 98
  • tres365.jpg
    tres365.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
Upvote 27

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done- excellent post!

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice find Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find and connection. Wonder what the w stood for
I'm not sure it's a W. It's joined across the top and is offset and smaller. If it is, maybe people addressed a Whaleboat Capt. as a "Whaler" with the W initial.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure it's a W. It's joined across the top and is offset and smaller. If it is, maybe people addressed a Whaleboat Capt. as a "Whaler" with the W initial.
I agree it's not part of the initials.....and see how it could stand for whaler, as it clearly depicts a whale image.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research makes the theory plausible.

In earlier pieces they sometimes put the Wifes initial on pieces as well, so is the wifes name beginning with W?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO this is not a snuff box... It is possibly a percussion cap box... or some other function... but you can pretty much scratch the snuff idea.

Open it very carefully after washing with dish soap and water... gently of course.

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely see something that looks like a whale etched in there.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to keep in mind is I found it close to Sag Harbor, one of the most important early whaling towns. At its peak in 1845 the whaling fleet numbered around 65 vessels. The area had a rural character and not a particularly large population. The King family were colonial founders.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s cool! I read a book about the actual whaling ship that Moby Dick was based on. The ship was called the Essex and the book was written by Nathaniel Philbrick. Interesting read. Those guys went through hell and back again.

After reading the book a few times I actually went to Nantucket and checked out the whaling museum. I’d definitely recommend it if you have a chance to go. Was absolutely amazing! Plenty of tools, clothing, personal artifacts, etc…I also visited many of the homes where the officers of the Essex lived. I’d love the opportunity to detect on that island.

Thanks for sharing your find.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to keep in mind is I found it close to Sag Harbor, one of the most important early whaling towns. At its peak in 1845 the whaling fleet numbered around 65 vessels. The area had a rural character and not a particularly large population. The King family were colonial founders.
Great point! There were many whaling towns in the northeast. Obviously Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard, but also Hyannis, Newport, sag harbor, and new London to name a few.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool....banner vote for me !!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this small copper box a few weeks ago at one of my permission sites. At the time I felt bad for not being careful and forcefully snapping the lid off while trying to open it. The box had a tight, well-aligned fit. I didn't clean it (most of my finds I do not clean). Only yesterday did I take a closer look and found an inscription. And today through research of my town's historical record did I find who I think was the owner.

The initials A.K. match that of Abraham King, a whaling boat Captain (1819 - 1902) who made a total of 7 trips around Cape Horn. (See the last photo attached here). My 1870's map show the property was owned by Kings, and the neighboring property belonged to his mother's family. The depiction of a whale etched below the initials gives the theory weight.

Finds like this, backed by historical research and a face to match, are what make this hobby exciting for me, regardless of the what monetary value the piece may actually have.
Nice connection!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
It's so nice to find an artifact that can be connected to a particular person and history like this! You might have the beginnings of a history document on the area. Who lived where when, what they did and artifacts you have found which they owned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions