Status
Not open for further replies.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of sweet iron, perhaps you meant Pig Iron, those hard to cut chains wold have been made with a manganese alloy.

I learned the hard way that manganese is non magnetic after loading 2.5 tons of ball mill balls onto my truck. When the scrap yard magnet would not pick them off the truck was told they would not purchase them.

Manganese is used to make wear resistant steel, there's a foundry in British Colombia paying $1200.00 a ton.

The foundry uses the metal to make abrasion resistant pumps used in the mining industry.

The load I had was over forty years ago.

View attachment 2008602
I think Sweet Iron is a regional dialect kind of thing.Never heard it outside of the South along rivers and such.You may be right,I,ll go with that!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which would eplain why I found this brass snap hook there
they would tie the belt through that and the chains and lower the wagons down using this tiny brass snap hook
I explained what this hook was in the other thread... please read and stay current in your own threads

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly I heard it used by old guys we called "River Rats",former tug boat workers and commercial fishermen.I haven,t heard it used in a long time as all those old guys died off.
I think that is a Mississippi Delta thing, now that I think about it. But that delta life way different than the mountains here. I don't even think the make moonshine. Uncivilized.

OP
OP
L

lackaff

Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what it kinda looked like when I unearthed it but was covered in way more rock settlement than this

Attachments

• f237955fb0861a9d68215f7c59b062bb.jpg
    f237955fb0861a9d68215f7c59b062bb.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
L

lackaff

Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sugar shine made from dextrose in my neighborhood is everyone's favorite.

Check out how much rock settlement was covered on this thing when I pulled it out this thing must have been in there for 150 years at leasst

Attachments

• Check out how much rock settlement was covered on this thing when I pulled it out this thing m...jpg
    Check out how much rock settlement was covered on this thing when I pulled it out this thing m...jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 23

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lackoff... I think you are failing to grasp the "big picture" here.

#1. You started this thread to ... errr... welll to see what others thought about your finds... to get some confirmation as you will... and then when VETERAN / EXPERTS tell you what you have you have you seem to ignore and argue the / your point as if we are going to all of a sudden see something we did not to begin with and change our minds... which does happen from time to time... but not with something(s) like what you have posted here... THEY ARE OBVIOUS TO US.

#2. Your imagination is running wild and in no close proximity to actual reality... no offense... it is what it is... you just need to accept it.

#3. Move on and keep detecting... one day you will actually find something that you will need our help on.

Thank you ... best of luck out there... and follow the MD code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread