What about HANK? Advice?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is a first for me stopped by our local park last night and found this dog tag about 1" below the surface with the owners address and number on the back.

Should I text them and try to return it or do you think maybe the dog is long gone?
The address has sold 3 times in the last 5 years so the number would probably be my best route..

I hate to call someone and tell them I found there little dog's tag that died. That would be a little ackward... hank.JPG

Upvote 4

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always call. In every case they were grateful and curious about where the tag was found. The comments are usually something like, "Oh that's where they ran off to that day when they lost the tag and we already got him/her a new tag. Even if the pet has died it might provide closure for the pet owner. Good Luck with that! :thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always call. In every case they were grateful and curious about where the tag was found. The comments are usually something like, "Oh that's where they ran off to that day when they lost the tag and we already got him/her a new tag. Even if the pet has died it might provide closure for the pet owner. Good Luck with that! :thumbsup:

That's what I do too. Some just thank you and say to toss it. Others are very grateful and want the tag back, either to put back on the dog, or, to keep as a remembrance of their dog if the dog is no longer alive. Usually it's the higher quality type tags, or current licenses that they want back. The aluminum ones you can get for cheap at Petco are the ones they usually don't care much about about.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, toss it in the trash. Its either a meaningless loss, or its going to be dredging up painful memories, either way theres no benefit.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, toss it in the trash. Its either a meaningless loss, or its going to be dredging up painful memories, either way theres no benefit.

My experience has been the exact opposite for the most part.

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I texted the number and they responded and requested I drop it off. Plan to drive by after work today.
Probably sentimental to the owner...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gesture. I always call and ask if they would like it back. Like Mackaydon said, how they respond is not your issue. You did the right thing by calling in the first place, and that's all that matters.

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick Update - I dropped it off and got a quick Thanks and that was about it. Sorry no cool story to share about what a good dog Hank was.

Still fun to return things though gets the word out that were not a bunch of hole digging pirates (even though we secretly are :)
After 5 years I still haven't found a class ring though which bewilders me a bit as I'm sure you can't miss them.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is a first for me stopped by our local park last night and found this dog tag about 1" below the surface with the owners address and number on the back.

Should I text them and try to return it or do you think maybe the dog is long gone?
The address has sold 3 times in the last 5 years so the number would probably be my best route..

I hate to call someone and tell them I found there little dog's tag that died. That would be a little ackward... View attachment 1764974
. Nice of you to try and return it and were successful. I found one earlier this year that had the dogs name on one side and the owners phone number on the back. I called the number and left a message and never got a call back.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who lost their dog two months ago if someone brought this to me i would take it as a sign that my fur baby was okay... so while not everyone might feel that way i say return it.

Kdmoo

Sep 18, 2018
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one earlier this year that had the dogs name on one side and the owners phone number on the back. I called the number and left a message and never got a call back.

I had the same experience with one I found last summer.

Kevin

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick Update - I dropped it off and got a quick Thanks and that was about it. Sorry no cool story to share about what a good dog Hank was.

Still fun to return things though gets the word out that were not a bunch of hole digging pirates (even though we secretly are :)
After 5 years I still haven't found a class ring though which bewilders me a bit as I'm sure you can't miss them.

Good job on the return. Sometimes you get a reward offer (I refuse) other times it’s just a thanks and goodbye, but it is the right thing to do.

I have found 21 class rings and returned 13 (still working on finding the owners to 2 recent finds). Keep swingin. There is a class ring out there for you somewhere in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread