What about this property? Mineral Rights

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found what appears to be decent land for sale. ( Mineral Rights ) The location is in Northern California and I've learned through research that the area once produced significant amounts of gold. However, the post is a little bizarre. The guy selling it states "contract to be signed after payment." Is this normal? Also, he's giving away a panning kit with the property??? What are your thoughts?

Weaverville, Trinity County, California land for sale - 40 acres at LandWatch.com

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mining claim he's selling. You would be buying just the mineral rights .Nice looking creek and in a terrific area. But it absolutely needs to be tested first ! Good Luck

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the ad "This is a 40 acre unpatented, gold mining placer claim" you are NOT buying land

ratled

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be some confusion based on replies?

Looks like the OP knows it's just a mining claim based on the ( Mineral Rights) in his post.

As far as the "contract to be signed after payment " goes I'd imagine it's the norm under this situation. Why would he sign away his rights to the claim before he was paid.

Looks like a decent area too me based on the images. Would be best to go poke around before purchasing it.

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be some confusion based on replies?

Looks like the OP knows it's just a mining claim based on the ( Mineral Rights) in his post.

As far as the "contract to be signed after payment " goes I'd imagine it's the norm under this situation. Why would he sign away his rights to the claim before he was paid.

Looks like a decent area too me based on the images. Would be best to go poke around before purchasing it.

That's what I was thinking. It was just a bit strange that he was offering a panning kit with it.....lol

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure why there needs to be a contract unless there are payments, stipulations or if the sale is made via mail.
You trade him the $ for a quit claim deed and your done.
None of this should happen until you have tested the claim and are satisfied.

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why there needs to be a contract unless there are payments, stipulations or if the sale is made via mail.
You trade him the $ for a quit claim deed and your done.
None of this should happen until you have tested the claim and are satisfied.

Good insight. Thanks for this.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All that and a free panning kit with a value of $25.....act in the next 15 minutes and we'll double the offer, we'll include a 2nd 20 acre claim and panning kit and you just have to pay the extra shipping and handling costs.
Sounds to good to be true :laughing7:

Just kidding, beautiful spot and a drool worthy riverbed.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A. don't buy it !

B. BLM can issue a serial # without proper county recording.
Check the claim at the county.

C. if you don't know how to locate a claim on your own, Don't buy one.

D. Don't buy it.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are gold claims for sale all over Colorado with no gold and I imagine it's the same there.
If their name is Weiss, or Cyros with Dept of Land Management be especially cautious. They have many bunk claims around here and it's big business everywhere.

Never BUY a claim without extensive testing. There doesn't need to be gold for someone to stake a claim and sell it.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It has nothing to do with knowing how to locate a claim but knowing how to prove the claim is legit, as you said check with the county recorders office and also I would get copies of the claims in the area from the BLM, cost is small compared to buying a fake claim. Also get a copy of the deed of the claim for sale and check on MY Land Matters, check to see if the claim is listed and that the owner is the same as the seller.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang that's pretty good money!

Michael and Marie locate a mining claim 6 months ago and pay $310 dollars for it and now you are willing to pay them $3,950 dollars for the same claim. :cat:

Did they even mention that you will have to form an association with another miner or that claim will be declared void by the BLM? Yep you will need a partner to legally hold that claim.

I notice that Michael and Marie point out that there are no other places to make a claim along that stretch of the creek. I guess they didn't need to point out that was because they claimed up that area themselves 6 months ago?

Seems to me mining is all about discovering valuable minerals, making claim to them and then mining. Just a thought but maybe you could learn to do the due diligence and find a claim for yourself. You would save $3,795 on the deal and actually know that you own a claim with minerals on it.

That is a nice spot. Being right on the highway I bet a lot of folks stop by there and camp and fish in season. At least you won't be lonely if you buy that claim. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow $3950 for 40 acres where the dude just picked up an easy half oz!
I couldn't get the link to come up earlier but now it works.
If there's so much gold there why would they sell it for $3950?
No miner in his right mind would do that. He'd be picking up his own ounces!

Btw anyone can camp and fish and shoot and relax on your claim if they want.
There are no added recreational benefits because a mining claim is only for mining.
Everyone has access to use the surface as long as they don't impede with your operation.

You can tell right there it's a scam.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't even have to read the text body before getting a bad feeling about this one!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are gold claims for sale all over Colorado with no gold and I imagine it's the same there.
If their name is Weiss, or Cyros with Dept of Land Management be especially cautious. They have many bunk claims around here and it's big business everywhere.

Never BUY a claim without extensive testing. There doesn't need to be gold for someone to stake a claim and sell it.

Hey! That's MY last name! But NO, I don't own any claims to sell! It ain't me!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has nothing to do with knowing how to locate a claim but knowing how to prove the claim is legit, as you said check with the county recorders office and also I would get copies of the claims in the area from the BLM, cost is small compared to buying a fake claim. Also get a copy of the deed of the claim for sale and check on MY Land Matters, check to see if the claim is listed and that the owner is the same as the seller.
Claims don't have "deed's" per se you can research the location recording at the county and the file at the blm. If it sells there needs to be a quitclaim with a signature from all locators.
The point is if you know the claim process in and out, you won't get scammed if you do decide to buy one that may be worth it.

Chances are if you are a decent prospector and you know the claim process you won't buy one anyway.

However, even with my never buy a claim motto , there still may be claims worth buying. but, you wouldn't know unless you are a good prospector and know the claims process....

So, it does have something to do with it. if you don't know the process you leave yourself open to the tricks and lack of info claim flippers use.

Like how many locators you need for the size, is it described properly on the location notice, are all the filings and recordings done right.

Kinda has everything to do with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claims don't have "deed's" per se you can research the location recording at the county and the file at the blm. If it sells there needs to be a quitclaim with a signature from all locators.
The point is if you know the claim process in and out, you won't get scammed if you do decide to buy one that may be worth it.

Chances are if you are a decent prospector and you know the claim process you won't buy one anyway.

However, even with my never buy a claim motto , there still may be claims worth buying. but, you wouldn't know unless you are a good prospector and know the claims process....

So, it does have something to do with it. if you don't know the process you leave yourself open to the tricks and lack of info claim flippers use.

Like how many locators you need for the size, is it described properly on the location notice, are all the filings and recordings done right.

Kinda has everything to do with it.

With your motto "never buy a claim," how do you mine, or metal detect, etc...? Do you ask permission on someone elses claim, wander through the woods hoping no one sees you, or stay in your backyard? Just wondering how you get it done.

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your motto "never buy a claim," how do you mine, or metal detect, etc...? Do you ask permission on someone elses claim, wander through the woods hoping no one sees you, or stay in your backyard? Just wondering how you get it done.

Nevermind. Just saw your other post, which was fantastic. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread