What am I doing wrong???? But more importantly what am I doing right....

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been hitting the quarters harder than anything else over the past several months. Trying and trying and trying to find a W quarter. Thus far I have gone through 2 boxes and about $500 in CWR.

I have yet to find a single W quarter not one in the bunch.:BangHead: It has been fun to search but also depressing seeing everybody else pull them. I have had better luck getting 2019 coins from CWRs so have diverted all focus there unless the bank simply has none.

With that being said in the $500 of CWRs that I have done I have pulled 4 silver quarters. All from different rolls and all from different bank pickups. I have never ever had such luck with pulling silver out of quarters.

Honestly, I know the W's will start dropping in my area at some point so I guess I'll just continue enjoying the silver train and see how long it lasts. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
With comparatively few quarters coming from West Point, you may be at this for a while. I am in the western states and have yet to find one, or hear about one being found by a member of any club local to me.

Time for more coffee.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 2 boxes and $500 CWR in "several months"? Honestly, that's not very much searched. For some on here that would be one visit to the bank. Your chances will increase significantly if you up your search totals.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You need to increase your volume. Also, keep in mind of the ratio of W quarters (2 million of each of the 5 varieties; Total 10 million) to that of P/D 2019 Quarters (est. 1.5 - 2 Billion). They are the proverbial needle in a haystack. Getting a solid new 2019 box will increase the likelihood that you may find W quarters mixed in, but even that isn't a guarantee. I was fortunate in finding 67 Lowell ATB West Point quarters. And I have found 2 American Memorial ATB West Point quarters. No Guam or San Antonio. I only search $1K/week.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through $20,000 in quarters. No fooling. I did find about 20 Lowell's, 1 War in the Pacific, 1 Marianas Islands and no San Antonio mission quarters with the W mint mark. It's not easy by any means.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 6 "WAR..." West Point, lots of P & D everything else

as they circulate the value will TANK. mine are all MS++, so getting $13 to 14 each for raw, 3 sold & 3 on hand

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just consider yourself very lucky to find 4 silver qtrs. Others have gone thru more and got skunked.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Moff, you got some really good advice on this thread already. Just like to sum it up by saying Volume and Proximity.

Volume: Guys on here have been having success with much higher volume. Does it mean you have to join them to find a W? Probably yes.

Proximity: Look at the guys telling you that they have had success. Where are they from? NY, FL, MD, etc. If you consider either the Denver mint or the San Francisco mint your main supplier, it could be exponentially tougher for you to find a W based on what I'm seeing on T-Net.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to hunt these "W" quarters I would pick up $30 in MWR quarters from as many branches of different banks as I could and see which ones had rolls of 2019s. Then go buy them out. But you know this already. Many people must be dong this since fresh quarter MWRs are a scarcity.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve searched 2500 worth of quarters and have been fortunate enough to find 3 W’s. I would recommend increasing your volume.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
You have searched $500 in CWR quarters and come up with 4 silvers - there is nothing you are doing wrong there. Like others have said, if you really want a W, search more volume. Probably better off with boxes or MWR for those. I haven't found a W quarter yet, but I am only a casual searcher of quarters.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep searching!! This post prompted me to buy another box today.

Started the box and not a single 2019 in the bunch, then in the last few rolls out popped a 1944 and two 2019’s.
One was a P and one a W.

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input guys I was really just venting on not finding a W. I know the probabilities are low and that is what makes it so great. It is truly a rarity. This is the best thing the mint has done since the statehood quarter program launched.

I used to do a good bit of volume in my college days. 5-10 boxes a week of various denominations. However now days with a job, house, wife, and life in general, it is a lot more difficult. Not complaining at all, just other things taking precedence over the hobby. The lack of coin machines hinders large volume hunting for me as well, I'm sure there are some around with smaller banks but I have not made the effort to find them.

The weather is slowly getting nicer so I've been taking my lunch break out in my car and going through $100 or so and occasionally knocking back a box or two at the house when I get the itch.

Definitely not complaining about lack of success with silver quarters. I looked back at my college log and out of $9,560 of quarters searched I had only pulled 8 silvers. So 4 out of $500ish customer wrapped is AMAZING.

I've yet to find a good bank for getting new quarter rolls. I've been to about a dozen different banks around work picking up $100 at each and not a single one did I get a roll with more than 4-5 2019s in it. Most actually had a ton of BU 2018 quarters.

With all that being said I had not done quarters since college and I'm having fun completing out my National Park book and looking for errors. With all the silver dried up in half dollars it was nice to find it in the quarters.

I'll keep hammering away to try to find a Westpoint. I'm not one to sell my coins so I'm not looking for ebay money, and I refuse to pay premium for any modern clad coin. Just want them for my collection as I honestly don't think I have anything minted at Westpoint. Sooooooooo yeah I see many more rolls of quarters in my future.....

:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread