What are basic differences between Minelab Explorer II vrs Equinox 800?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking for experienced Minelab'ers who have used both in the field and not opinions from non-users. I know Nox is waterproof. So what else does it buy you on the upgrade? Is there a big learning curve going from EX II to Nox? I'll be hunting mainly farms, lawns, woods and some beach hunting. Thanks for your time!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally different technology. The Nox is fairly easy to learn and since you learned the Explorer which is more complicated to learn the Nox should be easy for you to learn.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this dichotomy, I'd stay with EX2, especially if it has a Sun-Ray probe.
yeah I have an X-1 attached probe on machine. Thanks!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter Thanks for reply. Good to know. Yeah learning the EX II definitely took some time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter Thanks for reply. Good to know. Yeah learning the EX II definitely took some time.
I never owned the Explorer series but did own the ETrac, a lot harder learning curve than the nox.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone from White's to Excalibur to Sovereign to Explorer to Etrac, to CTX, to Equinox (and beyond). Learning the Equinox for me was not too big of a deal. Start with factory settings initially, and then tweak it for precise applications as you get more time on the machine. I find that the Nox is better than all those others I mentioned in most categories, except target I.D. and in some cases resistance to EMI. Naturally diving, I would use the Excalibur, and in the surf I wouldn't use the Explorer, Sovereign, or Etrac since they aren't waterproof, but operation-wise, the Nox is my favorite right now, and the others were either sold, or are collecting dust.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gone from White's to Excalibur to Sovereign to Explorer to Etrac, to CTX, to Equinox (and beyond). Learning the Equinox for me was not too big of a deal. Start with factory settings initially, and then tweak it for precise applications as you get more time on the machine. I find that the Nox is better than all those others I mentioned in most categories, except target I.D. and in some cases resistance to EMI. Naturally diving, I would use the Excalibur, and in the surf I wouldn't use the Explorer, Sovereign, or Etrac since they aren't waterproof, but operation-wise, the Nox is my favorite right now, and the others were either sold, or are collecting dust.
yeah I have run into some EMI interference with EX II - but nothing I could not hunt around. Thanks for your repy cudamark!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my Excal and Nox at the beach, I still love the excal with the reverse discrimination mod and large coil, but do use and enjoy the Nox in the water too.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Safari and a Nox, Nox was easier to learn and use than Safari. Nox also weighs about two pounds less than the Safari making it a joy to swing for my old body. Like TH says, completely different technology and I still think the Exporer series may be better silver sniffers than the Nox. One thing I dislike about the Nox is a lack of coil options. I hardly ever take my SunRay 8" coil off my Safari, there are no 8" coils available for Nox.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from the Ex2 to the Equinox. No problem at all. You will notice it separates the targets better. It's much lighter. My ex2 won't hit on certain targets the 800 hits on. It's a much better machine.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Safari and a Nox, Nox was easier to learn and use than Safari. Nox also weighs about two pounds less than the Safari making it a joy to swing for my old body. Like TH says, completely different technology and I still think the Exporer series may be better silver sniffers than the Nox. One thing I dislike about the Nox is a lack of coil options. I hardly ever take my SunRay 8" coil off my Safari, there are no 8" coils available for Nox.
yeah EX II is heavy too and if you the add X-1 probe - it weighs more.
I see Nox and Deus II are lighter. Thanks for your answer.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from the Ex2 to the Equinox. No problem at all. You will notice it separates the targets better. It's much lighter. My ex2 won't hit on certain targets the 800 hits on. It's a much better machine.
well I watch various MD'ing channels in US and UK, and lot of folks are using Nox digging deep holes, finding deep coins. Much lighter would be nice! Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was researching Nox and Deus II but believe I'll stick with Minelab. I am just getting back into MD'ing after a serious diagnosis. At 67, swinging anything too heavy will limit my time in field. Plan to detect where my built-in pool used to be and was filled in - after finding a colonial buckle on surface of fill dirt that contractor hauled in. If that's goes well, my wife just got me a permission to a 20 acre farm from 1890 with pond, and it's real close to where I live. By well, I mean physically. If I can put the time in - I'll probably get a new lighter machine.

For more on fill dirt - see my post on Nova Constellatio.
"Flashback 2003 - the next time you dig an unidentified coin "

For more on my serious diagnosis - see post on
"Some of my best finds, oldest finds, finds I like best when I was posting on TN" - if curious and have not read it already.

Oddly, a few weeks ago, I was standing in the middle of where the pool used to be on back lawn. There directly above me was a perfect 'X' made by two jet plane vapor trails, as if to say - you really should dig below here!
Who knows, maybe I'll find something other than rusted iron. L The 'D" buckle peaked my curosity for sure. :)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally different technology. The Nox is fairly easy to learn and since you learned the Explorer which is more complicated to learn the Nox should be easy for you to learn.
Great post here. Not to mention it's a much easier machine to swing for hours at a time. The weight and ergonomics are much improved.

Personally, I like the better stability and the target ID of the 800 which in my opinion gives it a huge advantage. You just have to hunt soooo slooowwww witht the EX II if in any trash at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post here. Not to mention it's a much easier machine to swing for hours at a time. The white and ergonomics are much improved.

Personally, I like the better stability and the target ID of the 800 which in my opinion gives it a huge advantage. You just have to hunt soooo slooowwww witht the EX II if in any trash at all.
I'll assume you meant 'weight and ergonomics'. ok thanks Bart! I was on your site looking at machine and specs. Thanks for your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread