Other

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try and save the coil if i could. Possibly try an rtv silicone, dabbed on and smoothed over. It would keep it together and still keep moisture out.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let you know, When I pulled my CZ20 out of the closet after sitting a few years, I still regret that move. I found the coil cable to be almost gone in a lot of places. I did not know what would be the best route so I went to harbor freight bought some electrical tape, then wrapped the entire coil wire. I also bought a can of liquid tape same place and sprayed entire cable. let it dry in the sun. wrapped again with tape and sprayed another coat. let it dry and took it into the salt water to test. its been working since. Now after working with my Excalibur II modifying I have learned how to replace my coil wire and make it water proof with the help of OBN. I think if the rest of the cable is ok just fix the broken section, but most likely the rest is soon to go to. I can give you the info where and what cable to buy for coil as OBN has done for me and if I can help in any way I would be glad to do as well. That's why there is a forum to help each other.

OP
OP
T

TwistedElvis

Aug 4, 2014
Sunny San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minilab CTX 3030 / Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I would love the info as I know it's just a matter of time before the rest goes.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil Cable, purchased from McMaster-Carr. Part #9204K12 Oil-Resistant Continuous-Flex Cable 600V AC 20-Gauge Wires....comes in many length. $3.62 per ft.

I used this cable to make my Excalibur stock coil better for me to use hip mounted. no problems at all.

Since your ordering from Carr, you might want to get some spare Stainless Steel Flat-Tip Set Screws if you need to replace knobs or housing end caps. Part #92605A113 $3.64 PACK OF 25

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled my Excalibur 1000 out of the closet to find the coil wires all cracked close to main housing.
Im thinking of a better coil at this point and I have seen quick disconnects.
Will the quick disconnects work at max rated depths of the unit? or would hard wiring like stock work better.
And who is best to do the mod?

Hardwiring it would be best for deep diving. Tony Eisenhower is local to us, and does a great job repairing and modding Excaliburs. Depending on what use you plan to do, a different coil might the right move.

Sheepdog43338

Oct 22, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Excalibur II,,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am having the same issue and will be installing a NEL Sharpshooter coil on mine. I also will be installing a new cable to the coil from McMaster Carr and going to try and save it.

Nov 12, 2019
Ft. Laud., FL
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: MINELAB EQUINOX 800 WITH ALL COILS. GARRETT SEA HUNTER II.

PREVIOUS: WHITES V3i; MINELAB EXPLORER II, MINELAB SD2100; JW FISHERS 8X; MINELAB EXCALIBUR 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

How are you? I'm curious how you settled on the unshielded cable? Did they specifically tell you to use unshielded or did you just come to the conclusion because of electromagnetic interference, EMI, is an ongoing problem for all metal detectors. I did notice that the shielded wire only comes in a 3 or 5wire count so you would have to tie off one of the wires and not use it and I also noticed that the shielded does not come and 20gauge but only 18gauge – I'm not sure that's a problem because electrical resistance would be lower with the 18gauge. Any comment? Thank you again. Brittany

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread