Deathontwolegs

Jul 13, 2013
DC
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F5C48C33-8BCE-4557-A5E0-74377315024E.jpeg
My apologies if I'm in the wrong area of the forum, but I'm trying to figure out what these coins are and if they have much value. I found them in VA all within a couple of inches of each other. Thanks for any help you can offer.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British one penny coins. Look them up online. Value depends on rarity and condition. Condition not very good on yours. But the back story is they were likely brought back from WW1 by a Doughboy coming home. That is what makes them interesting. If it was me, I would want to know about that soldier. But that is just me.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious to find a group like that. You have British pennies and halfpennies but, as a group, they won't relate to doughboys from WWI. One of the pennies looks to be from the 1930s. I can't read the dates but pennies after 1936 have Britannia's helmet further away from the rim of the coin and also have a lighthouse on the horizon behind her, like one of your examples.

In that condition the numismatic value is pretty much nil I'm afraid, but who can put a price on the story they have to tell?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread