✅ SOLVED What are they?

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of critters I shot in NC. Have no idea of the identity of either specimen, but I see posts from folks who are extraordinarily knowledgeable for almost every subject imaginable. figure some one can ID them. Moderator, feel free to move this post wherever it might be better suited.
20160610_184942.jpg
Cattarpiller.png

Last edited:
Solution
Well, the first one is a Beautiful Wood-Nymph Moth (Eudryas grata):

Wood Nymph 1.jpg Wood Nymph 2.jpg

The second picture isn’t great and difficult to see that it’s a caterpillar. If it is, I would think probably a Luna Moth (Actias luna and other species) or in that territory. There are a number of green caterpillars for your region which have those eye-like colourations as mimicry.

PS: The Beautiful Wood-Nymph Moth has mimicry for bird-droppings.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wood Nymph 1.jpg Wood Nymph 2.jpg

The second picture isn’t great and difficult to see that it’s a caterpillar. If it is, I would think probably a Luna Moth (Actias luna and other species) or in that territory. There are a number of green caterpillars for your region which have those eye-like colourations as mimicry.

PS: The Beautiful Wood-Nymph Moth has mimicry for bird-droppings.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Solution
OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2036753 View attachment 2036754

The second picture isn’t great and difficult to see that it’s a caterpillar. If it is, I would think probably a Luna Moth (Actias luna) or in that territory. There are a number of green caterpillars for your region which have those eye-like colourations.
Fantastic! Right on the money with that moth. Unbelievably fast too. Did you recognize it or look it up? I looked at images of moths for a long time and never saw that one. Sorry about the photo of the little green guy, but I never really planned to look him up. yes, he was a caterpillar, to the best of my knowledge, LOL.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions