What caused this?

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting waist deep at a popular beach for a few hours. I went home and charged battery (Nox 800) to full charge. 2 hours I went to a different beach and after 2 minutes the unit shut off and wouldn't power up. When I got home 10 minutes later, it powered up and seems fine. Is this what happens if water gets into control unit? I contacted Minelab Service Ctr. and left a detailed explanation including serial number. Maybe I shouldn't submerge the control unit again because if it happens again I could loose using it for the remainder of the year. Maybe I got a "lemon". Maybe I should have purchased the Excalibur. I was hoping that Minelab had corrected the leakage problem before I purchased this unit last year because I really like its performance and design features. I guess if I knew beforehand that I would be submerging the unit, I should have purchased the Excalibur or the CZ21. I think I made the wrong choice. Oh well.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard Minelabs has been very fast on the Nox fix, I would use it and have fun. Is that the only water unit you have? When it comes to hunting "in the water" it's always good to have a back up.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good to hear. It may take them longer to respond due to COVID's negative affect on business as their recording indicates. For the rest of the season until early December I won't submerge the control. I'm gonna zip tie a 2lb. diving weight as far away from coil as I have to the help negate the buoyancy of the coil on my Whites Dual Field and use that in the water. I have done well with that in the past but it was aggravating trying to keep the coil near the bottom. it is very easy to center that coil over the target for quick recovery. It finds the deep goodies and hopefully at waist to neck deep there will be less iron and it has a very bright yellow coil. I believe Garrett has the rights to Whites Metal Detectors. I wonder if they might bring back some of their popular models and possibly a PI that doesn't have a floating coil. I'd buy one

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d check to ensure the coil cable connector is clean and tight. They will shut off if not tight.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drown mine without fear because, well, it's suppose to be a watertight water machine, which is why I bought it. If not then it's a little like buying a boat and never putting it in the water. It's under warranty. As for Minelab fixing the leakage issue, I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon, if ever. Seems these days everything is intentionally designed with a three year shelf life. So use it without fear at least until it's out of warranty.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is sending a shipping label. If they replace the pod, the new pod will have a different serial number. I'm wondering if Minelab will warranty the "new" pod for 3 years if so, this could go on forever lol. It is disappointing when I purchased a $185.00 Henderson shorty, $30.00 weight belt,$130.00 mask/snorkle, $250.00 Stealth scoop and $200.00 Tony Eisenhower headphones and then the $800.00 Nox drowns the 4th time in the water at the amazing depth of 5 ft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread