What detector for highly iron mineralized soild

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some land which is between creeks that have produced some gold, my land has no creeks and close by areas had been used for smelting iron in the 1800s so it's tough to detect. I need a suggestion for the best detector that will handle this type soil, I am talking
typical hobby brands like Fisher, Garrett, Whites, or something in the price range of these brands.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When heavy iron is the norm for an area a VLF will not be able to function, at least from what I've read. Someone else more knowledgeable will need to respond about PI machines in heavy iron. You may just need to do a lot of pan sampling as that always works though you may need to crush/pulverise samples first..............63bkpkr

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PI machines are typically more expensive, have poor discrimination and are heavy....but they are excel better in heavy mineralization than a VLF. Sometimes you can turn down the sensitivity on a VLF and get it to work in mineralization, but that comes at a cost, especially with regard to depth. My best advise is to invite somebody from the area who already has a detector - see what they are using and their experience on your spot - and if they find anything - before you invest into your own machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look at the Fisher Goldbug 2, or Goldbug Pro. The Whites GMT, Teknetics G2, and the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. These VLF machines are going to be your best bet for finding small gold pickers in your area. I would say however, that finding "nuggets" in North Carolina, is EXTREMELY rare, and you'll probably have more luck highbanking or drywashing. :occasion14:

Zahal

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2019
Hudson River Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the difference between the Gold Bug II and the Gold Bug Pro? Will be using one or the other for placer gold or platinum. Which would be recommended?

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Equinox 800. They handle the mineralized soil very well. Also when you strike out on the gold, which most do, no offense there, you can switch to coin hunting with this detector, whereas some of the other detectors are more gold specific and do not have the greatest iron discrimination when compared to the Equinox

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the difference between the Gold Bug II and the Gold Bug Pro? Will be using one or the other for placer gold or platinum. Which would be recommended?

Bug 2, analog circuitry, no displays for guessing at what's under the coil, longer learning curve, super-hot on tiny gold, light and easy to swing, great detector

Bug Pro, digital circuitry, digital meter functions for display, short learning curve, hot on gold but not as hot on tiny gold, you can digitally track concentrations of black sand, dedicated coin circuit, light and easy to swing,

So, you'll have to decide. If you want tiny gold, the Bug 2 excels due to it's very high frequency, but it has a longer learning curve.

If you're not as concerned about being able to nail tiny gold, the Bug Pro is a great detector with a short learning curve and digital displays, plus it has a circuit for finding coins.

Choices, choices . . .

All the best, and hope this helps,

Lanny

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the soil is super-hot as in severely extreme, you'll need a PI, but if not that severe, the newer VLF's are much better at handling hot ground.

So, it might be worth it if you know someone that has done a lot of detecting to have them pass both types of machines over your ground to give you a real-time evaluation of what your soil conditions truly are.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say the Nox or Bug2. The Fisher has a 10 turn GB so when you figure that out it is a little more forgiving....You have to be careful also with sensitivity...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread