🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What do these markings mean?

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this metal charm? detecting about 10 years ago. Does anyone recognize these markings? Measures about 1" wide by 1 1/2" tall and was worn on a chain as a necklace. I did post it back then but never really had a definitive answer. Thought I'd give it another try.
Thanks in advance
Rich

Attachments

• Silver Triangle 1.jpg
    Silver Triangle 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Silver Triangle 2.jpg
    Silver Triangle 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Silver Triangle.jpg
    Silver Triangle.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 84

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The markings look similar to those found on "rune stones".
It seems to be a mixture of Germanic and Icelandic runes on the pendant to my eye.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
wildcarrot

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The markings look similar to those found on "rune stones".
It seems to be a mixture of Germanic and Icelandic runes on the pendant to my eye.
Thanks for the lead. Googled "rune stones" and do see some similarity but none match up with symbols on the medallion. Still searching....:)

Upvote 1

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the cross looks like The Cross of Lorraine
here is a link to runic alphabets

Upvote 2
OP
OP
wildcarrot

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cross looks like The Cross of Lorraine
here is a link to runic alphabets
Thanks cw....If this is a cross on the medallion it does resemble the Cross of Lorraine.
Still not able to match any of the symbols in the Runic alphabet link? Both sides of the medallion have five matching symbols. One side has two additional different symbols. I don't think they are letters from an alphabet...still searching. Native American?

Upvote 1

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting find.

What part of the country did you find this? Under what context was the find? By this I mean was this found in a field detecting an old house site, or was this in a settled area like a town park, or in the town itself?

Do you recall the depth of the find? Was it on top or close to the ground top?

The hole and clasp, was the clasp added by you or was this found on the item?
The hole, does this appear to be drilled or melted through? If drilled that give a potential different age range as a hole made by pushing a red hot metal rod through a softer material. Under magnification what does the inside of the hole look like - if anything can be discerned.

For an example of the hot rod pushed through a softer material, consider old Indian medals were this was done to allow suspension.

Is the material stainless steel or possibly silver? Stainless has only been around for approximately 100 years, while silver many centuries.

Under magnification do you see other metal in the engraving area? A microscope may be needed for that sort of inspection.

Copper used to manufacture modern native American relics sometimes exhibit copper marks only visible under magnification.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wildcarrot

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find.

What part of the country did you find this? Under what context was the find? By this I mean was this found in a field detecting an old house site, or was this in a settled area like a town park, or in the town itself?

Do you recall the depth of the find? Was it on top or close to the ground top?

The hole and clasp, was the clasp added by you or was this found on the item?
The hole, does this appear to be drilled or melted through? If drilled that give a potential different age range as a hole made by pushing a red hot metal rod through a softer material. Under magnification what does the inside of the hole look like - if anything can be discerned.

For an example of the hot rod pushed through a softer material, consider old Indian medals were this was done to allow suspension.

Is the material stainless steel or possibly silver? Stainless has only been around for approximately 100 years, while silver many centuries.

Under magnification do you see other metal in the engraving area? A microscope may be needed for that sort of inspection.

Copper used to manufacture modern native American relics sometimes exhibit copper marks only visible under magnification.
Thanks dognose,
This was a dry sand beach find here in SoCal. Found with the clasp as shown. The hole is smooth on the surface and is tapered a bit. It doesn't look like it was drilled. Material is stainless steel I believe...using a magnet.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread