What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

The best one I have is sleeping right now in a corner. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To tell you the truth I don't think there is such a thing because any decent detector becomes a very good detector when the site is great. My point being the other variables account for so much that the little bit of "sleepiness" won't be much of a factor, and never account for much. (all high end units work well) That being said, I think best bang for the buck better describes what you are looking for, and I guess is somewhat the same. Just sounds like it would be easier to answer that way. So Ace 250? lower cost Tesoros?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
To tell you the truth I don't think there is such a thing because any decent detector becomes a very good detector when the site is great. My point being the other variables account for so much that little bit of "sleepiness" won't be much of a factor, and never account for much. (all high end units work well) That being said, I think best bang for the buck better describes what you are looking for, and I guess is somewhat the same. Just sounds like it would be easier to answer that way. So Ace 250? lower cost Tesoros?

One that I consider a "Sleeper" is the Fisher 1235-X and 1236-2 for land and competition hunts. It is also hipmountable for wading. With it's adjustment for changing the freq without changing coils it can hunt where other units are unstable. An it doesn't cost an arm an a leg.

The Silver Umax is also a good one for giving great results without all the $$$.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I never used a bounty hunter or a Teknetics... But got to use a Teknetics Omega and to me that detector is a sleeper.. After all the detectors i have had and have ...I had to buy a Omega it is a true sleeper .....That for the time being is in the back ground but if you use it it will surprise you .. Or as they use to say ""it will Knock your sox off"" It is a true sleeper....

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Best bang for the buck is something totally different. I want to hear about machines that a lot of people don't talk about. For instance, I find the Omega 8000 a terrific machine but you really don't hear much about them.

You hear about the ace 250 all the time. It is a great machine (I have one myself) but it is well known.

Cost is not in question here. I just want to know if people think there are machines out there that are terrific and you wonder why you don't hear about them. Even older machines can be included.

Are they a "best kept secret" or what?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lafatlife said:
Best bang for the buck is something totally different. I want to hear about machines that a lot of people don't talk about. For instance, I find the Omega 8000 a terrific machine but you really don't hear much about them.

You hear about the ace 250 all the time. It is a great machine (I have one myself) but it is well known.

Cost is not in question here. I just want to know if people think there are machines out there that are terrific and you wonder why you don't hear about them. Even older machines can be included.

Are they a "best kept secret" or what?

I almost said that.... that the only answers that really fit will be from less known brands. According to their adds they are all sleepers. :wink:

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Iron patch, you are right but there are some known brand names that have lesser known detectors. Again case in point, the Omega 8000. You hear about the T2 and the T2 LTD but not much about the Omega or for that matter the whole "Greek" line of detectors.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

After useing the Omega i would say that it would equal the T2 the f70 and the Explorer at a few bucks less... It is a amazing detector that sure surprised the he!! out of me..and every one seems to look right past it like it's not there ..

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008

Discovery Cointrax II also the old Compass Goldscanner (no longer made).

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Keppy, I agree. The Omega is the best current "sleeper" in my opinion as well. (Yes I own one too. )

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

lafatlife said:
Keppy, I agree. The Omega is the best current "sleeper" in my opinion as well. (Yes I own one too. )
"""" You are a Smart man lafatlife... :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lafatlife said:
Iron patch, you are right but there are some known brand names that have lesser known detectors. Again case in point, the Omega 8000. You hear about the T2 and the T2 LTD but not much about the Omega or for that matter the whole "Greek" line of detectors.

Never heard of the Omega at all but that doesn't really surprise me because I don't pay attention to other brands or anything new.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy said:
lafatlife said:
"""" You are a Smart man lafatlife... :icon_thumleft:

Uh Oh.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

LOL Digginthepast!!

Keppy, I am a woman. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Iron Patch said:
To tell you the truth I don't think there is such a thing because any decent detector becomes a very good detector when the site is great. My point being the other variables account for so much that little bit of "sleepiness" won't be much of a factor, and never account for much. (all high end units work well) That being said, I think best bang for the buck better describes what you are looking for, and I guess is somewhat the same. Just sounds like it would be easier to answer that way. So Ace 250? lower cost Tesoros?

One that I consider a "Sleeper" is the Fisher 1235-X and 1236-2 for land and competition hunts. It is also hipmountable for wading. With it's adjustment for changing the freq without changing coils it can hunt where other units are unstable. An it doesn't cost an arm an a leg.

The Silver Umax is also a good one for giving great results without all the $$$.

Sandman, I got the Fisher 1235X on your recommendation for competition hunts and I am very satisfied with it on the competition hunts I ahve been on. It worked great for me on the last two Great Southern Beach Shootouts...LOve the freq shifter on it....... :icon_thumright:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

lafatlife said:
LOL Digginthepast!!

Hum? From your picture you look like an Indian head penny??

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buried Crap NJ said:
lafatlife said:
LOL Digginthepast!!

That "Indian" is actually Lady Liberty wearing a sort of Indian headdress, so still a lady (woman).

I know, I'm being a wise guy here. ;D

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Buried Crap NJ said:
lafatlife said:
LOL Digginthepast!!

LOL it is the oldest coin I have found so far. Sorry for the confusion. :icon_sunny:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

lafatlife said:
LOL Digginthepast!!

Sorry lafatlife...... So now that makes you a very smart woman smarter than most men......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread