Tedwnicol

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sons and I took a trip into California and somewhere over there ( I won't say where ) we found a water fall coming off of a mountain and about 4 feet to one side of the fall and about 15 feet almost straight up I found 5 dome head tacks with square shanks that were made around 1890 or so I was told. I had to climb those 15 feet with my metal detector because the mountain was almost straight up so there is NO trail. I found all 5 in a group and not spread out as you would think the rain and spring run off would do to objects on a steep area and especially over that amount of time. It was getting dark so I just scooped up the dirt in my hand and passed it in front of the detector and found that I had it and so then I climbed down and when we made it back to camp I seen that it was the tacks. NOT THINKING much at the time we left and have not gone back. MY QUESTION IS : WHAT do you think it could be from ( those square shank tacks ) and they were curled at the points , every one of them . Why would they be there?
[email protected]

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
It is hard to say without a picture. They could be horse shoe or oxen shoe nails. The very old 1700's rose head nails had heads that were sort of domed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tedwnicol

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that it is something valuable like a stage coach safe box. I've seen pictures of some and the tacks looked like them but who knows. I just can't imagine why they would be that far up an almost straight up mountain wall if it were horse shoe tacks but who knows , you may be right. I am going to make the trip in two weeks to find out. but I thank you for your input friend. may your day and finds be of GREAT VALUE..... Ted Nicol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tedwnicol

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe,,, but why would the points be curled ? and if it is, then could there be a gun there and if that is true , could there be the bones of the person it belonged to ? What should I do then ?
Thanks for your input friend but I really really hope it is a strong box from a stage coach. Ted Nicol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
The points mean they probably went through something.
The length should tell if it was wood or leather
What is the size?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tedwnicol

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are about 1/2" long curled. AS USUAL, my wife put them up somewhere and now I cant find them and she doesn't remember where. DARN IT !!!

Upvote 0

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi Ted, good thought on the safe box. How awesome it would be to find something like that way up there. I can see your point where a horse would have a tough time up there unless it was part Billy Goat. Best of luck when you go back out there!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread