what do you think of this?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large stone was standing out like a sore thumb, I flipped it over and it is dished out.... The smaller stone was also strange for the area but not as interesting.

11111.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Niice! Hard to tell from the pic, but it sure has potential. Is it nicely polished or show signs of use? To bad the smaller stone wasn't found beneath it.

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking Quito...It looks like it was ground on from where the small stone is to the higher side.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Sure looks like a metate and mano from here but as quito said, any sign of wear on either of the pieces. I have several metates that were flipped over. One of my best was found flipped over when metal detecting . I was laying over a 1860's military shirt button.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That caught my attention when you said you flipped it over. From what we could tell in SW Oklahoma, before the horse, they were made from local materials, and these were too heavy to carry along when they moved, so they would flip them over to protect the grinding surface, and have them on site ready for use when they returned, if they ever did.

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ... I had a friend tell me about them being flipped over when they left camp. He told me of a place that there were over 100 of them flipped over.

So when I saw this white rock among all the dark stones and obsidian flakes, I flipped it over....and saw it was dished. The smaller stone I found maybe 20 yards away and it just seemed a good match. :)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to see a pic of the dished out area head on minus the small rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread