Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little Sterling Silver Pin was recovered on November 3rd, 2019 down in Brooklyn, Mississippi. I have been unable to determine what "SEL 23" stands for and am hoping that some of y'all can shed some light.....

Note: This was recovered not far from Camp Shelby, and there was also a Civilian Conservation Camp nearby.

DSCF4280 (2).JPG

DSCF4282 (2).JPG

DSCF4281 (2).JPG

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An inmates home cell number that cud not spell.:BangHead:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a solid end link to a bracelet or something.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the 23rd Company Senior Enlisted Leaders ?

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little Sterling Silver Pin was recovered on November 3rd, 2019 down in Brooklyn, Mississippi. I have been unable to determine what "SEL 23" stands for and am hoping that some of y'all can shed some light.....

View attachment 1769472

View attachment 1769473

Wannabe, that is such a interesting find in good condition. Its small size reminds me of a lapel pin or similar for an organization. As for "SEL 23", perhaps making out what the design is will offer a clue. To me it looks like a leaf, a pine cone, or a wreath on the outside. In addition to posting on TNet, consider sending pictures to museums.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, that is such a interesting find in good condition. Its small size reminds me of a lapel pin or similar for an organization. As for "SEL 23", perhaps making out what the design is will offer a clue. To me it looks like a leaf, a pine cone, or a wreath on the outside. In addition to posting on TNet, consider sending pictures to museums.

Thanks Invent... I hadn't even noticed the resemblance to a "pine cone", but it's obvious now and could relate to something local, since we are known for our pine trees. It almost went in my pouch as scrap because of it's size, but luckily, something made me take a second look.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that it was found near Camp Shelby and a former CCC camp. I did a quick search for CCC camp pins and most have the initials "CCC". A more in-depth search may reveal otherwise. Another approach may be to send the pics to a CCC camp museum - some are listed here -> CCC Museums. If it is related to a military unit that trains/once trained at Camp Shelby, perhaps the base historian would know (assuming there is one).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that it was found near Camp Shelby and a former CCC camp. I did a quick search for CCC camp pins and most have the initials "CCC". A more in-depth search may reveal otherwise. Another approach may be to send the pics to a CCC camp museum - some are listed here -> CCC Museums. If it is related to a military unit that trains/once trained at Camp Shelby, perhaps the base historian would know (assuming there is one).

Thanks for the input. I will forward pics to the CCC Museum and a member of our local detecting group aka South Mississippi Relic Team is stationed at Camp Shelby and knows the base historian, so I'll ask if he will run this by them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, your find is so cool, I hope you get an answer. When I tell people for every hour I spend detecting I can spend 10 hours cleaning, preserving, identifying and dating an artifact - you know what I mean. Best of luck:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, your find is so cool, I hope you get an answer. When I tell people for every hour I spend detecting I can spend 10 hours cleaning, preserving, identifying and dating an artifact - you know what I mean. Best of luck:icon_thumright:

I do know what you mean, and in many cases the real treasure is not even the item I have recovered, but instead all the knowledge I acquire while researching said item.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe Shelby Environmental something and the year 1923. Very nice find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumping this in hopes of someone new seeing this post and being able to solve the mystery for me.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Convinced Because it is Sterling It's Jewelry.
and because of the lumps on the Back
000bbb.JPG
it was Soldered to something

Like a Bracelet or Necklace

000aaa.jpg

With Each Spelling out Something & the reason another can't be Found so easy.

And probably a College in 1923

{Schools were too Small back then to have such things)

I suppose it could be New & For someone who will Graduate in 2023 But Doubtful

I Also Doubt a Persons Name. Not something easy to make 1 Of

Was probably Mass Produced

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, did you ever check with the base historian and/or a CCC camp museum in your state? If so, do tell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions