Metal Detecting
PSX_20210224_200251.jpg

PSX_20210224_195938.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
IDK where I came across this one. See if a professional printer can help you out.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know if this is in any way related but, in the late 1950s, Dr. Pepper introduced a version of their product which was designed to be served hot as a “winter warmer”. This can is from the 1960s, but the product (or at least the idea) was sold through to the 1990s:

Hot.jpg

There are more details on the Dr, Pepper Museum website at the link below but no evidence of that particular typeface being used in any of the labelling or promotional materials associated with the product.

https://drpeppermuseum.com/devilishly-different/

It might be worth dropping them an email and asking.
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a match. Just another possibility.
This is one I think we should be able to solve ... yet, here we are.
(Someone please figure this one out)

Pull Tab Hot.jpg
Snap-E-Tom.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, it was a Hot one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonathan.Grummer

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2021
Colleyville, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know if this is in any way related but, in the late 1950s, Dr. Pepper introduced a version of their product which was designed to be served hot as a “winter warmer”. This can is from the 1960s, but the product (or at least the idea) was sold through to the 1990s:

View attachment 1905453

There are more details on the Dr, Pepper Museum website at the link below but no evidence of that particular typeface being used in any of the labelling or promotional materials associated with the product.

https://drpeppermuseum.com/devilishly-different/

It might be worth dropping them an email and asking.
Email: [email protected]

Thank You I'll Try.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonathan.Grummer

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2021
Colleyville, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jonathan.Grummer, I see that you are a brand-new member here at TreasureNet... so let me say, welcome to the What Is It? forum -- the best place on the internet to get unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)

That being said... your aluminum drink-can pulltab is a toughie to specifically identify.

The shape of your aluminum pulltab indicates it is an "early" version of drink-can pulltab. It looks like the ones I used in the 1960s/70s, not one of the versions from more-recent decades. Knowing its time-period might help you track down the distinctive lettering of the "Hot" logo -- which I do not recognize, despite having consumed a LOT of soft-drinks in the 1960s/70s.

I should mention... it seems that the Hot logo is on the UNDERSIDE of the pulltab. (It could not be seen on the outside of the can.) If I'm seeing it correctly, that could be a helpful ID-clue. I recall that back in the 60s/70s, sometimes the soft-drink manufacturers would run a "prize contest," in which the underside of the drink-container's cap or pulltab would have a free prize written on it. Coca Cola was famous for doing that, and other beverage companies did it too.

Sorry, that's all the ID-help I can give you about your pulltab. My area of knowledge is pre-20th-Century American Military relics. You can learn a lot of very good information on many subjects here in the What Is It? forum, so I hope you will visit it often. Again, welcome to TreasureNet.

Exactly what I was thinking Canonball Guy. It has to be some kind of contest. Im wondering if it could of been some kind of Hot Wheels contest because the font of the word HOT looks a little like a hot wheels logo?

Upvote 0

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm thinking a chocolate drink or maybe even Dr. Pepper in the 60's as it was sometimes consumed warm. I haven't been able to locate the logo but maybe instead of "hot" it was JHOT? The font screams 80's to me. would be cool to finally figure it out though

Upvote 0

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
s-l300.jpg Maybe its a "Hot Lips" Houlihan tab :laughing7:

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm in the 70's they would have made Great Bracelets for the Girls at Beer Parties

9ed38d052f2d9c2492cb89622f61abd9.jpg

Upvote 0

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

I believe this was a Coca Cola contest sponsored by 98 KUPD out of Arizona. The contest was revived when Coke switched to the new formula in 1985.

"."We set out to change the dynamics of sugar colas in the United States, and we did exactly that -- albeit not in the way we had planned," then chairman and chief executive officer Roberto Goizueta said in 1995 at a special employee event honoring the 10-year anniversary of "new Coke."New Formula 1985 Vintage Coke Cola Soda Pop OPENED Tab Can Hot 98KUPD Contest"
download.jpg

In the original version you won a prize if your pull tab was marked.
In the new version you won a prize if you pulled a can out of a case that was marked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi all.

I believe this was a Coca Cola contest sponsored by 98 KUPD out of Arizona. The contest was revived when Coke switched to the new formula in 1985.

"."We set out to change the dynamics of sugar colas in the United States, and we did exactly that -- albeit not in the way we had planned," then chairman and chief executive officer Roberto Goizueta said in 1995 at a special employee event honoring the 10-year anniversary of "new Coke."New Formula 1985 Vintage Coke Cola Soda Pop OPENED Tab Can Hot 98KUPD Contest"
View attachment 1912861

In the original version you won a prize if your pull tab was marked.
In the new version you won a prize if you pulled a can out of a case that was marked.

great find! probably harder to do than winning the original contest.

quite a number of states were involved in the “Play Hot Tops” contest, mostly involving radio stations:

1985 Special Cans (top prize was a new Subaru XT coupe)

Attachments

• 0A2F10E1-89B2-40CD-BB53-B6C61DCB3268.jpeg
    0A2F10E1-89B2-40CD-BB53-B6C61DCB3268.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandmaniac, thank you for following up on my suggestion way back in post #3 at the top of this lengthy discussion, to do the pulltab beverage-can "prize contest" identification research I'm now too old & weary to do. I don't know whether T-Net has a clause in the Banner rules for "outstanding research on a relic ID"... but if so, you'll get my vote.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread