What Happened To Minute Steaks?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
They are alive and well in Arkansas. We had minute steak last night for dinner. I pick out the packages that are bright red and have the less white flesh. I then tenderize it more with a rubber mallet. Cut them into smaller pieces. I make up a mixture of salt, pepper and Tony Cachere's seasoning in flour. I coat the steak pieces in this. I then get a skillet going with about a cup and a half Canola oil. When the oil gets hot I place just enough steak pieces in so they don't touch. Cook them on both sides. It doesn't take long for them to get done. When I have finshed cooking the steak pieces I dump out half of the oil. I then take the flour mixture that I coated the steak pieces in and dump it into the the skillet with the oil and stir. I add milk as needed. Get it as thin or as thick as you like it. This makes a great gravy to go with the steak and some mashed potatoes with real butter.

If you can't find them in the store ask the butcher to make you some up.

OP
OP
S

stefen

The ones I remember were frozen-prepackaged, were square maybe 5" X 5" X 1/4 to 3/8 " thick and had a pat of butter embedded on each side...

All you had to do was open the package and drop into a skillet and brown each side...total time of i minute...then pop betgween 2 peices of bread...and enjoy.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I guess we aren't talking about the same thing. I guess what I am talking about is actually called Cube Steak in most parts of the world.
cubesteak.jpg
Around here it's known as Minute Steak.

I don't guess I have ever seen what you are talking about. Sounds good though.

OP
OP
S

stefen

You see, I don't want to go to the butcher (boucher) to get meat for a meal...I want to go to the freezer and pull out a package and pop it into a skillet and have a (fast-food) meal. :)

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I agree with SwampHunter as far as what "minute steaks" are.

What Stefen's describing sounds more like Steak-umms...

steakumm2.jpg

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
We call em cube steaks here too. Don't care to much for steak'ems but some food places get what's called wafer cut rib-eye steak from the supplier & they
make a fairly good steak sandwich or what we call 'hoagies'.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here they sell them in the fresh meat section, lightly breaded, throw from the frezzer in the pan 2 min. they are ready, love when were runnin late on tired. Or just plain lazy night!

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My idea of a minute steak is when my wife yells out from the kitchen....
"Dinner is going to be ready in a minute"

The steak-ums, from what I remember, were completely processed and therefore tended to lack the taste and texture you could get from a thinly sliced fresh steak. I suspect what your probably looking for is something convenient, however, I think it would be possible to buy a bunch of the fresh breakfast steaks, as previously suggested, and simply stack them between sheets of wax paper, perhaps placing the stacked steaks in bundles of 5 or 10 per freezer bag. That way they'd be readily available, easily to separate, still quick cooking and likely tastier than the processed stuff, of course taste is subjective.

JCH

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's funny how a few hundred (or thousand) miles change peoples labels for things. I would never in my life have thought of a steakum as a minute steak. Here in hillbilly country us kids had to eat minute steak on the weekends while we watched the adults eat a ribeye or t bone! ;D
TT, those definitely taste like cardboard!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Here is PA, Steak-ums are considered minute steaks.

I'm in western Pa. & minute steaks to us are thin, sliced rib-eyes
or thin breakfast steaks, usually served on steak hoagies or steak
& cheese sandwiches. We call steak -ums----steak ums.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might look in the grocery freezer section for breaded chicken fried steak patties. Got some at Wally World, made by Tyson. 8 patties for $4.95. Heat-n-eat. Not bad with pepperjack cheese melted to 'em.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me this is a minute steak.

images.jpg

when I get freshly Back from the Butcher Shop & am so Hungry
I grab a Sirloin out of the Pack, (or the alternate,
quarter pound of ground Round) throw it on a plate
& sit down with my Knife & fork.

Takes about a Minute I guess.

I'm no fan of steak-ums or their counterparts.
Most of the time they are Tuff & after being fried,
taste like Road kill smells.

Last edited:

bobr123380

Aug 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefen I know exactly what you're talking about we had them as kids. I've searched all the Internet and cannot find a picture is you find a picture please send me a copy. Thanks, Bob

DigMyPast

Aug 17, 2022
The ones I remember were frozen-prepackaged, were square maybe 5" X 5" X 1/4 to 3/8 " thick and had a pat of butter embedded on each side...

All you had to do was open the package and drop into a skillet and brown each side...total time of i minute...then pop betgween 2 peices of bread...and enjoy.
My Mom would cook them about every other week. Exactly as you describe them Stefen. I was born in 1954 and the last time I remember them was about 1970.

As for cube steak...My butcher cuts the meat about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch and normally these are about 4"x5"x1/2" before they go through the cuber twice.....and if someone want a dang good chicken fried steak recipe...we are Dutch Oven cooks for both "Cow Camps" and "Western Days'. People always ask how we do it and for us to show them exactly. I never met any folks except vegetarians who didn't like this steak!

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mom would cook them about every other week. Exactly as you describe them Stefen. I was born in 1954 and the last time I remember them was about 1970.

As for cube steak...My butcher cuts the meat about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch and normally these are about 4"x5"x1/2" before they go through the cuber twice.....and if someone want a dang good chicken fried steak recipe...we are Dutch Oven cooks for both "Cow Camps" and "Western Days'. People always ask how we do it and for us to show them exactly. I never met any folks except vegetarians who didn't like this steak!
I'll bite! Plus I like to cook. Let's hear your amazing recipe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread