What have you used your metal detector for??

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went back home to Topeka for my mom's retirement party last April. She has moles in her yard and some buzzing type stakes in the ground to repel them but the batteries went dead and she couldn't find them.
She knew the general areas so it wasn't hard but I gave me an excuse to scan along the sidewalks too and I found a few old dimes and a couple wheats. She thought it was pretty cool.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was teasing my nephew about his new girlfriend and asking if she had any body piercings?

They both of course said no. So when I grab my propointer, she turned beet red and ran out of the room.

I guess that answers that? :laughing7:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I reclaim lumber and my detector finds any metals left in he wood. Saves good saw blades.
Finds wires and pipes in walls.
I've got some metal in my body. Maybe I'll see if I can detect titanium.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold teeth in a cemetary. kiddinv

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This hot Summer, mostly just to hang my shirts on.....

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rings and property stakes for friends. My son bought a house with no idea where the septic tank was and found the lid quickly with the Tesoro Amigo i gave him over 20 years ago.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A church near me was about to celebrate its 300th anniversary so they wanted to retrieve a time capsule that was buried in the 1970s. Since it was buried, they had put a new sidewalk in, pictures of that day 40 years ago were developed in reverse so everything looked backwards and add in that there was only 3 people there that were there to see it put in the ground. I thought it was going to be easy- not! Change was every where, pennies, dimes, nickel's, it looked like a movie, trenches/holes all over. they were taking turns digging in shifts, and deep, 4-5 feet deep. It was a 6" 8" piece of lead pipe, lead caps soldered on each end with a valve they used to put some inert gas into it with. The guys that put this together were phone company workers and Norwegian builders. They said burying it under the "Frost Line" in retrospect may have been going a bit overboard, I agreed with that statement. My machine wasn't any help, a half hour of looking and I was done. Just that week I had gotten my first ever pinpointer, a brand new garrett. on my hands and knees at the bottom of one trench I got a small single beep and gently uncovered a heavy piece of metal a few inches deep, I let them dig it out because I absolutely thought it was a utility, but it was their 60 pound 6' long lead pipe pressurized time capsule. I acted like it was a slam dunk, never a doubt in my mind thing, but I sweat that out.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend bought a piece of property that was near a WW2 airfield/ bombing range.

he was told the property had been cleaned up and never used for live bombs and i did a scan down the middle and found 8 bombs.

it took a company about 3 months to clear the property.

the military personal that had cleared the property just after WW2 did not have good metal detectors and once they heard there was only practice bombs there they just papered the property as clear.
found out later planes with mechinal problems dropped live bombs without arming them in the same area before making a emergency landing.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used mine looking for nails in logs to be cut or boards to be planed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sidewalks usually have 6 inch wire mesh for strength, your detector with standard coil will see all the wire, your pinpointer is able to see between the wire strands.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just reading a thread about a guy who used his detector to find a cell phone he lost on the side of the road. I thought that's nothing I've used mine to find metal studs in the wall. I began wondering what else have people used their metal detectors for, besides finding treasure. :3barsgold:

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Baddog
Honestly,
On an USFS Passport In Time Project of a CCC Camp, I followed the alighnment of a Terra Cotta water drain pipe to the showers by locating the GLAZED pipe feature, no problem. You see, in the Glaze, there are metal ingredients, that my Fisher GB Pro could sense...! THAT surprised the archaeologist on the project....!
Crossing creeks by balancing on downed trees - that machine sure comes in handy for Shoving Aside blackberry vines, so you can get to the Berry-Bonanza, that I could see just beyond reach...;
Weapon of Defense against ankle-biting dog;
Encountered a BEAR , and scared it? away, with my machine, full volume THRESHOLD/pinpoint. I don't know who was more surprised....He, probably.... (honest)

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used mine as a crutch because I was in the hoods and at a certain time my knee decide to stop working :D

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detecting friend and I were asked by the police to attempt to locate a valuable watch in a wooded area where a deer hunter had found human bones. The identity of the missing person was confirmed and the family requested assistance in locating the watch. We searched a very large area but found nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread