IMG_20220417_181609226.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 4

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bodfish...Only watched a few seconds of it, but that looks like Will Ferrell. Some folks think he's funny, but I can't stand the guy. I'll have to check
out their Youtube channel.

They are beautiful specimens, no doubt, but whether they are actually
gold...well, the jury is still out (for me).

Is it possible they are a pyrite/gold mix? I've never seen gold look like a
terminated ccryst

Here's something I didn't know-so this thread was worth some investment after all.

"Simple Field Tests
Iron pyrite is attracted to magnets, but real gold is not magnetic. Real gold also leaves a gold streak when scratched against a small bit of unglazed ceramic, like the back of a piece of bathroom tile, but iron pyrite leaves a greenish-black colored streak."

Now to the OP make a video of that test-and see what colour you come up with,
Just to keep things going none of the pyrite I have sticks to magnet not even slight attraction, and it leaves a lead grey streak as seen with miners lens on porcelain pad, my sample also crumbles with ease..
Not a real good pic..... it could be chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, iron pyrite...
Which one is it ?
Gt....

20220427_190843~2.jpg

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, a specific gravity test can easily help confirm pyrite over gold. An assay, however, will tell what he has, putting speculation to rest.

Time for more coffee.
To each his own, I suppose. I’m not interested in spending $$ on something that I know isn’t valuable. Maybe this feller has some time and $ on his hands.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if frogs had wings, would they still bump their butts when they jumped?
First you would need to prove that you even had gold. There are a number of gold things in the ground. Gold mixes with many things as well. 24k Gold isn't used for much as it is too soft. jewelry is made with a mixture of other elements like silver and copper.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just wasted 20 minutes reading 5 pages, that I will never feel justified in reading...

:evil5: Written on this piece of paper is my assessment of the sample shown.

Can someone please tell me what it says?????

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
They tell me it doesn't exist. They tell me I can't crumble gold with my fingers. I have found the elusive pure gold! It tests pure some of it is in octahedral shapes. It's truly amazing. I need to know who can help me get this purity authenticated. All help will be appreciated! Last pic shows 22kt nitric acid test results..
All that glitters...

LibraryCat

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2017
Worcester, MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also considering that even if it was NOT gold, it might be something valuable in its own right — not just pyrite. (All the more reason to take it to the geo department of a University that was called in advance so they could spare the time for a full explanation even if it was easy to identify.) It does look pretty, which makes it possibly nice to add to your private collection, but (sadly) pretty does not often pay real bills.

You mentioned it was crumbly and not ductile — being easily drawn into wire is a trait the element of gold is valued for possessing.

Also, does it look oxidized in any way? Gold can have barnacles on it from being centuries under aggressive sea-water, but does not tarnish to nothing.

Does it carry electrical impulses well? The computer geek in me wants to know.

And, is it heavy? I never can look at those jungle-adventure movies the same way since I found out how much a backpack full would crack all the bones in my spine…

Whatever it is, it’s fun to learn about, and again may be valuable in its own right — maybe even more so than gold. (A handful of pure gold vs. a handful of black truffles vs. a handful of ambergris … )

All the best in your quest.

Wheeler5656

Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tell me it doesn't exist. They tell me I can't crumble gold with my fingers. I have found the elusive pure gold! It tests pure some of it is in octahedral shapes. It's truly amazing. I need to know who can help me get this purity authenticated. All help will be appreciated! Last pic shows 22kt nitric acid test results..
That’s amazing. Wish I new a place to hunt for gold. You give me hope

Wheeler5656

Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find it in a cave?
Or the ground?
Was it underwater?
Was it found in USA?
I heard something about Philippines having super rich gold.
Maybe it’s 28k that’s why it crumbles. 😩

davidbird42

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is a metal and won't crumble but if it is in quartz, quartz can be crumbled...to a point. We need more info though. Found by panning? Digging? Location? https://www.minerals.net/mineral/gold.aspx

metective

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2015
Yakima
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is Octahedral in shape and crumbles in your fingers, I would say it is NOT gold. Gold is not a crystal and it should be malliable and ductile, not crumbly. Sorry for the bad news.

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send a sample to the University of Michigan. Contact them first for instructions. They have one of the best science labs in the country.

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to break it to you sunny Jim, but I have never seen gold take that shape. Pick up a book on gems and minerals. And soon you will have some ideas on what it could be, who knows you may have found a rare form of a gemstone.

Coasty14

Oct 21, 2016
Loomis Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1220x
Tresaro Gold Sabre
Whites TDI
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of your pictures look like pyrite and some like gold. You can take it to a place that buys gold and have them test it for free... they might be very interested. ( you don't have to sell it to them and I would recommend that you don't.) Gold can come in crystals , chunks or nuggets like some of your pictures. Check the internet for crystal gold it is very collectable and sells for much more then nuggets depending on a lot of factors.

Purity varies with every location gold is recovered and is dependent on other minerals that may be in the ground where it was formed. Water washed nuggets tend to be purer since water leaches out the other minerals, but that varies too with the acidity of the water. Great find.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find it in a cave?
Or the ground?
Was it underwater?
Was it found in USA?
I heard something about Philippines having super rich gold.
Maybe it’s 28k that’s why it crumbles. 😩
His wife inherited it from her father.No mention from whence it came. No answer to questions from the members here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions