What Inspired you to Metal Detect?

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a young boy, I rode into the Superstition, and Bradshaw mountains with my dad, prospecting for gold. That started my treasure hunting fever. During my last year in the Army (1976), I was sent to southern Germany. One day while my unit was out in the field doing infiltration exercises, we saw a German guy with what turned out to be a Garrett VLF/TR detector, and my Sargent sent me over to check him out. He spoke perfect English, and we talked for a couple of minutes before the rest of the squad sauntered over. We were all amazed by his finds that morning, including some WWII coins, a gold Nazi ring, and a Roman coin! When I saw the gold ring my brain went immediately to the gold nuggets my dad and I would find in the Bradshaw mountains. When I went home to Phoenix, AZ, later that year, the first thing I bought myself was a Garrett Master Hunter. I have been hooked hard ever since!
Hey what happened to all your Tesoro metal detectors??

Treasure Hunting NM

Sep 10, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out metal detecting once with my step father early in 1981. Fast forward 38 years later and I met a friend who had a couple of detectors and asked if I wanted to go. First thing I find is a tungsten ring and I got hooked. I found a AT Pro on craigslist for $400 with the pinpointer and shovel and starting going out on my own. Now 2 to 3 years later I found $1600 in change, 241 rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, 2 Silver dollars, a Walker, silver dimes and quarters, wheats, foreign coins from all around the world, and lots of other goodies. I ended up buying a AT Max too with the change I found and am still going strong. I think it's so cool because you never know what will pop out of the ground at the end of your shovel. I am definitely hooked for life.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been loving this community, especially getting to see stuff out of the ground that's older than me. And sometimes older than most of yall XD. However, I have to wonder, what inspired any of you, ladies and gentlemen to metal detect? I know when I got into metal detecting, I always wanted to do it when I was a young lad, and actually brought my first metal detector at 19 the (Bounty tracker IV) I think that's what you call it. I never used it as much, i then brought the at pro, and still haven't used that one as much, mainly because college has been keeping me distracted.

Hope to hear your comments, have a safe day, and happy holidays.
Picked up a copy of "Eastern and Western Treasures" when I was ten years old and was instantly hooked by the finds page. Saved up two years and bought a dinged up White's Coinmaster 4900/d detector (was 1983) and would ride my bike to the woods and just dig, feels great to be outside and the finds arejust icing on the cake. Happy hunting,

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Better than sitting in the house, which reminds me I need to get back out. Also, check out the magnet fishing thread might be just as interesting as detecting, (just more garbage).

nwdetectorist

Greenie
Oct 23, 2021
I've been loving this community, especially getting to see stuff out of the ground that's older than me. And sometimes older than most of yall XD. However, I have to wonder, what inspired any of you, ladies and gentlemen to metal detect? I know when I got into metal detecting, I always wanted to do it when I was a young lad, and actually brought my first metal detector at 19 the (Bounty tracker IV) I think that's what you call it. I never used it as much, i then brought the at pro, and still haven't used that one as much, mainly because college has been keeping me distracted.

Hope to hear your comments, have a safe day, and happy holidays.
Early 1970s and I saw a beautiful Spanish Conquistador's walnut (or similar hardwood) rifle fore stock with silver inlay that a prospector found in the hills with a metal detector. He said he had gone back many, many times to the same area while prospecting, but could not find other part of the rifle. I was 14 and suddenly the visions 'El Dorado' danced about in my young mind. So... dad got me an older machine with which I found a pocket knife, large sheet of brass and some other detritus. I really wanted those expensive BFO machines, but no cash flow... Fast forward to the early 90s and I inherited a White's TR66 with different coils. I found some things but not much. Then, in 1994 I was able to trade this to swap meet dealer who had a buyer wanting my particular machine. What I got was the early version of White's Eagle Spectrum (after some payments were made) and I was off and finally finding lots of change, some silver and gold rings and occasionally older silver and IH pennies too! Today I use the Equinox 800 and am older and beat up so cannot gut out several hours of detecting, but still I find goodies. TOO MUCH DIRT - NOT ENUFF TIME HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread