DirtTGuy

Aug 16, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been loving this community, especially getting to see stuff out of the ground that's older than me. And sometimes older than most of yall XD. However, I have to wonder, what inspired any of you, ladies and gentlemen to metal detect? I know when I got into metal detecting, I always wanted to do it when I was a young lad, and actually brought my first metal detector at 19 the (Bounty tracker IV) I think that's what you call it. I never used it as much, i then brought the at pro, and still haven't used that one as much, mainly because college has been keeping me distracted.

Hope to hear your comments, have a safe day, and happy holidays.
As for me I heard about detecting a while back but was not to interested till the diggers. That Tv show got me curious enough to buy my first detector. My first detector was a Fisher F2 did not want to spend to much in case I lost interest. Well after w finding a military button at a school I got hooked. I have been having a good time ever since..

Nov 12, 2019
Ft. Laud., FL
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: MINELAB EQUINOX 800 WITH ALL COILS. GARRETT SEA HUNTER II.

PREVIOUS: WHITES V3i; MINELAB EXPLORER II, MINELAB SD2100; JW FISHERS 8X; MINELAB EXCALIBUR 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was into coin collecting when I was a kid. I like technology and I like the idea of being out either on the beach or in the water finding stuff that other people walk over and have no idea is under their feet, and all of these things together is why I detect. I think it's cool. I think it's fine. I like the technology. Oh yeah, it's great exercise. That's it.

NorILdigcollector

Sep 23, 2015
Northern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got started about 8 years ago exploring some of the local parks. I started finding dump sites from 100 years ago. In one of these I found a 1917 French ten centimes right on the surface. Once I found out metal detecting was allowed I was hooked.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging plants in my yard and found a civil war bullet. Borrowed a detector and started finding many. Found out I lived on a little known battle between Chickamauga and Missionary ridge.
Was hooked as it went hand in hand with my artifact hunting. Went deer hunting in a new spot in the mountains this last Tuesday and was glassing and saw the rock foundation of an old home site. It has a well and a weird stacked stone privy.
I will be back there soon with my metal detector.
The history and research and always learning it was keeps it interesting for me

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, when my pal in Conn showed me his 'new hobby' back in '87, one of his finds was a 3Kt diamond ring est value @ $10.000---that was enough fer me !! My only regret is that back in 64, I should have turned one more page in the Heathkit Catalogue ---and built the detector instead of the SWL radio----I had always been into bottles when bein raised in the heart of the Hudson Valley, where the Rev War was all around us, and the French had a camp just down the road in the fields that are now all houses-----but, I've n]been makin up for all that lost time- with far better machines!!!!

E

Exploration unknown

I've been loving this community, especially getting to see stuff out of the ground that's older than me. And sometimes older than most of yall XD. However, I have to wonder, what inspired any of you, ladies and gentlemen to metal detect? I know when I got into metal detecting, I always wanted to do it when I was a young lad, and actually brought my first metal detector at 19 the (Bounty tracker IV) I think that's what you call it. I never used it as much, i then brought the at pro, and still haven't used that one as much, mainly because college has been keeping me distracted.

I don't own one. I would love to have one though. I'm not a treasure hunter but I have recently been looking into a place I found. It would be so interesting to take one out there. It seems like it would be hard to hike out deep with one though. They look bulky and heavy. I'm pretty small and I'm probably not strong enough to carry it climbing overboulders and what not. I struggle with my backpack! Any suggestions for a light compact one or just a decent one my husband could carry?

caravel

Jun 13, 2018
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Shiny stuff laying on the ground, which begs the question of “what is just below”?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that's a tough one after all these years. There was 'Sea Hunt' series with Loyd Bridges, and all the Disney movies about pirates and treasure etc. But I was always looking for things as a kid without a MD. I found a 12k gold ring with an amethyst stone that fit me and a perfect fern fossil in flagstone, and a pewter skeleton key with #11 on it in a bottle dump down the woods. Then as an adult, I ended up living in a 200 year old colonial with a barn, bake house, cistern, and stone bank barn foundation. I had a dream about an Indian pointing to buried gold on the property. Then I saw a TV ad for Garrett metal detectors and purchased Master Hunter 7x, and I was hooked.

Four different people would have a similar dream about gold on that property, but alas, I never found any. I did go on to find many really cool relics and coins over the years - and the rest was history.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember detecting when I was 4 years old with my father. Had to be around 1977-78. We detected a few times and never found more than a few wheat cents but it is the few memories I have of him spending time with me. I occasionally would purchase a treasure magazine here and there and then in 1999 I sent a check to Kellyco for $215 for a Treasure Ace and then dabbled from there. I always looked down and I can remember finding my first Merc on top the ground around 1980-81. It was a 1936. Then my second silver coin I found was with an AT Pro around 2012 and it was a 1942 Merc. This gave me the “bug” except now I’ve slowed down because of health reasons and I can hardly detect more than 2-3 hours at a time. That first house where I asked permission and dug the 42’ Merc on ended up being one of the best yards and I’ve probably dug hundreds of places. I ended up finding a lot of silver dimes to include an 1875 seated and it was a really tiny yard. The house next to it yielded 7 silver coins in an area about 30 x 30 feet.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the machines amazed me more than the finds. How and why they worked. What the differences were in machines and settings. Last I counted I have 17 machines, and still shopping.
Some I should sell as the sound just annoys me, (Minelab Explorer SE). The complex sounds may mean something to others, but not me.

Reactions: ARC

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it's the adventure. Not only of finding things, but researching them and then heading outdoors. I've always loved being outdoors and have spent a lot of time in it. It can be exciting to hunt for items that are hidden. And that's still my main reason.

Reactions: ARC

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I was working I made a sales call on Marty my customer. We were talking and he ask me to go detecting the next weekend. I was hooked. We still hunt together. Marty works with the public and gets us lots of permissions.

dakender

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2012
Ash Grove, Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle
White's Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess it would have to start back in the early 80's when I was stationed in Arizona, "Davis Monthan AFB". Guy I worked with invited me on a campout to the mountains in an undisclosed location outside Tucson. Once we pulled up to the camp, many off road hours later ;) There setting in the camp was an old guy with about 10 metal detectors leaned up against the trees/tents/wood pile/etc.... Long story short, amongst all the cool stuff we found, the most exciting was the little vile of gold nuggets we brought home that day.

Dakender Scan -0004.jpg

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was an army engineer. I was a platoon leader in Iraq for 15 months hunting IEDs. Although I haven't had any "banner" finds from the USA, I had plenty over there in Iraq. Anyways, I liked to detect a bit as a kid but only had an old radio shack detector. After my tour I bought a few different Garrett cols and really stepped it up. Never looked back.
Thank you for your service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread