OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like cabash personally and enjoy most of his posts [rarely watch any MD videos], no doubt he does more swinging than most in challenging conditions, but his repetitive Garrett bashing gets a little old - And I likewise am put off by guys that ramble and trash, then turn off comments so silence and dissent.
I've had some sensational finds with my ace 250, Ace 400 and AT Pro, obviously they do not have the bells and whistles or more modern detectors, maybe they don't have the superb iron discrimination that guys like him look for, but alot of folks, perhaps most, don't need or want alot of bells and whistles, or go relic hunting in iron trashed locations.
So his views are his perspective of the type of detecting he does, may be relevant insofar as you also do that type of detecting but really don't mean jack squat if you don't. [I had an XP by the way and a Nox 800, neither grew on me and felt like I was wasting time trying to learn them while I could have been finding stuff with detectors I already know, and they both tended to be overly chattering for my liking so have sold them both] - Yet I'm not going to knock either of those [outside of the Nox being water resistant and not water proof as advertised].

The best detector anyone will ever have is the one you learn the best and use the most, and it can be low, mid or high end. True, if you want a depth monster than you are going to have to go towards high end, but not everyone likes chiseling out 14" trenches in hard packed dirt to chase down what is most likely trash, I sure don't and am content if a machine can find a dime at 8", doesn't bother me in the slightest what may or may not be lurking deeper. Metal detectors are alot like guitars, and I use both extensively. You think you are going to go out and buy a $2,000 Strat and sound like Jimi Hendrix, that is just not going to happen. A higher end tool/instrument can certainly give you an edge, but its not going to work magic - Like most anything else, you get what you put into it and to find good stuff takes patience, persistence, research and plain old luck along with a machine that will beep if it detects metal.

If non US companies take the lead in innovation, thats fine with me. Garrett is one of the, if not thee, most successful MD manufacturing outfits out there, and are likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. They make quality products that find the goodies, though they may not be the best for being stuffed with gadgets and/or certain hunting conditions. Apex did seem to fizzle, never handled one and haven't been following many reviews, was very much hoping for just an up to date 400 with some tones, a backlight and decent performance [I personally am not convinced that "multi-freq" delivers a quantum leap over single freq detectors, I think thats more a case of guys buying into marketing hype [IT WILL OBSOLETE ALL OTHER DETECTORS !! comes to mind] and looking great on sales ad charts but no where near delivering what the hoopla says it does.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MKW, dont worried about it. He says a lot of dumb things. Anyway, Calabash helped me pick out my Nox 800 and I have no regrets. Kinda forgot about him but had to subscribe. He is holding USA companies to the fire. They better pay attention or end up bought out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth be told, I have never fully explored all the settings on any machine I have ever owned. Time in the field is valuable, once I found something that worked, I simply stuck with it. I could have spent DAYS trying to tweak stuff, or I could dig. So I never fully "knew" any machine. Never. And I do find stuff.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth be told, I have never fully explored all the settings on any machine I have ever owned. Time in the field is valuable, once I found something that worked, I simply stuck with it. I could have spent DAYS trying to tweak stuff, or I could dig. So I never fully "knew" any machine. Never. And I do find stuff.

Ya its been a year in Park 1 on the Nox 800 for me. I have learned a lot, found some goodies, even a “banner” haha. I just set up the Andy coin shooter program and a deep coin program ed huffman suggested. Looking forward to the snow melt and trying out some new settings over some areas I have hunted before. Maybe I missed a deep silver. Time will tell.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the video goes, I agree with everything Calabash said. It's also refreshing to see someone speak their mind. Sadly, we live in a time where folks are afraid to go against the grain, any grain, for fear of backlash. Good on Calabash for speaking up...whether you agree, or not. Free exchange of opinion and ideas is what moves things forward and it's becoming more and more rare.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location location location. If it is not there you will not find it. I would rather hunt a good spot with a $10.00 detector then hunt a bad spot with a $1500.00 machine.
Some people live in better spots for certain things than others.If you lived where they did I bet you would find just as much. Metal detecting is not rocket science. Everyone wants to be faithful to what they have. Their brand. I am open to any brand and would not mind another machine that did not chatter my ears off. Funny I don't hesitate to spend $1500.00 on a depth finder with radar but freak out when metal detectors reach that amount.I would like to have a machine and say I loved it.
HH

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free exchange of opinion and ideas is what moves things forward and it's becoming more and more rare.

Can't have free exchange of opinions and ideas when he blocks comments on his videos...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the dumbest comment I've read on this thread. Okay for you guys to hurl insults, but I can't reply to them?

You started it with your snide remark to Minelab Matt.

What Calabash does on his youtube videos is his business as long as they do not violate our rules when posted here and not allowing comments is also his business and is not an issue here.

Please post by our rules and end the insults and rule breaking

Last edited:

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where's your banner find? LOL! Easy to insult people and claim that it just takes the right spot, but I don't see you with any banner finds. Put up or shut up is my motto.

LOL. I don't need a website to validate what I do or what I have found. I'm having fun and that's what matters, to me. And, I have found plenty of stuff hunting behind Garrett machines, so by all means, stick with it.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. I don't need a website to validate what I do or what I have found. I'm having fun and that's what matters, to me. And, I have found plenty of stuff hunting behind Garrett machines, so by all means, stick with it.

Thank you for service. Wish there were more men like you.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for service. Wish there were more men like you.

Thanks! I enjoyed, almost, every minute of it. Some minutes more than others. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread