What is better for picking through trash and detecting deeper targets?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O I went back to the 120yr old home again today and detected the front yard. Park 2, sensitivity 18, recovery factory default. All trash except for two quarters, 1972, 1997. Yard is only about 50' X 50', so I intentionally drug every target thinking eventually it will be clean enough to start picking up good targets

View attachment 1922450

Welcome to picking through the trash. Don't expect too much too soon, as fishing through trash is extremely difficult to get comfortable at.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O I went back to the 120yr old home again today and detected the front yard. Park 2, sensitivity 18, recovery factory default. All trash except for two quarters, 1972, 1997. Yard is only about 50' X 50', so I intentionally drug every target thinking eventually it will be clean enough to start picking up good targets

View attachment 1922450

That's the best chance at finding those deeper keepers. Takes a lot of work and determination. People tend to want the quick results and don't have the patience or perhaps the time at a site to do what you are doing. Hope it pays off.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the best chance at finding those deeper keepers. Takes a lot of work and determination. People tend to want the quick results and don't have the patience or perhaps the time at a site to do what you are doing. Hope it pays off.

Being fairly new at using the 800, once I get the yard fairly clean of trash, what techniques and settings should I use in order to have the best opportunity of finding the good stuff. I am on the Treasure Coast of Florida and the soil is mostly sandy, if this has any bearing.

Thx in advance for any input from anyone.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being fairly new at using the 800, once I get the yard fairly clean of trash, what techniques and settings should I use in order to have the best opportunity of finding the good stuff. I am on the Treasure Coast of Florida and the soil is mostly sandy, if this has any bearing.

Thx in advance for any input from anyone.

sphillips, a lot has been said in this thread already. I'm going to sum up what I think about most in a situation like yours:

- I've noticed that slowing the equinox swing down is probably the best way to pick up faint/deeper targets and also the best way to get clear separation between good targets and the trash that it may be right next to.

- Lowering recovery speed should give you more depth; increasing recovery speed (to 5,6,even 7) will give better separation between trash and good targets. If you've cleaned the trash out then a lower recovery speed + slower swing should give best depth.

- "Looking at" the target from multiple directions will give you a sense for size and shape once you learn what you're hearing. (Example: at some point you'll hear an awesome 30's signal, but when you pinpoint it the target will be very large...a can most likely. Coins sound to me like short blips).

You may benefit from watching a YouTube guy that goes by Metal Detecting NYC (MD NYC); his name is Merrill and he does a nice job of explaining how he uses the Equinox, and he shows you a lot of different target types.

I am not a YouTube guy but recently made a video at an 1800's house with a ton of trash, and maybe something in my video will help you. I'll include it below.
Good luck.
- Brian

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sphillips, a lot has been said in this thread already. I'm going to sum up what I think about most in a situation like yours:

- I've noticed that slowing the equinox swing down is probably the best way to pick up faint/deeper targets and also the best way to get clear separation between good targets and the trash that it may be right next to.

- Lowering recovery speed should give you more depth; increasing recovery speed (to 5,6,even 7) will give better separation between trash and good targets. If you've cleaned the trash out then a lower recovery speed + slower swing should give best depth.

- "Looking at" the target from multiple directions will give you a sense for size and shape once you learn what you're hearing. (Example: at some point you'll hear an awesome 30's signal, but when you pinpoint it the target will be very large...a can most likely. Coins sound to me like short blips).

You may benefit from watching a YouTube guy that goes by Metal Detecting NYC (MD NYC); his name is Merrill and he does a nice job of explaining how he uses the Equinox, and he shows you a lot of different target types.

I am not a YouTube guy but recently made a video at an 1800's house with a ton of trash, and maybe something in my video will help you. I'll include it below.
Good luck.
- Brian

Thx Brian, very helpful and appreciated. Steve

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just does not sound right your detector is operating a fixed field you can't raise or lower it's set and can't be changed more power less power and so on.
Buy adding more sensitivity you are going to make the big targets louder and the small targets louder and you can always turn your volume to max and lower your volume in your headphones so if those big targets are loud and the small targets are faint changing sensitivity will not change this at all one will be loud one will be faint.
But running low sensitivity will only make the faint targets fainter not as loud by running less sensitivity.Running higher sensitivity the bigger targets will be louder and so will the smaller targets .
As long as the machine is stable why not use more sensitivity to here the fainter targets.
To bad we don't have a gain setting on the nox like the ctx maxing gain makes all targets the same in volume faint or loud.
As far as halo effect on larger targets because of using to much sensitivity you could say the same of smaller targets to .
Show me in a video where at low sensitivity you can hear both faint and big targets sweeping over them ,then show me by using higher sensitivity you will not hear the fainter target.

Going back to the ? from the member here recovery speed means nothing to me past 4 inches all the minelab coils for the nox separate the same 6 11 12x15 at 4 inches get deeper like 5 in muti none separate try with a dime and pull-tab 3 inches a part one to 4 inches good separation at 5 you will only here pull-tab i still don't know what all the hype is on separation and recovery speed. Here's a vid you tube ((((((((((separation 0011 )))))))). sube

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger the coil the more filtering required to achieve a stable search field. The more filtering required the greater potential for more faint/weak returns to be filtered out. Just the nature of the technology.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traditionally speaking, especially true in disc modes, as the coil and search field grow larger so must the source of those weaker and fainter returns. It's for this same reason that smaller coils have always been more sensitive to smaller targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions