KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it stone or metal? Looks like a miniature powder horn or ram's horn. Devil is in the details I guess.... we need details.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is shiny silver metal encrusted by a rock like substance {patina?] Notice the score marks evenly along the length of it. It is flat on bottom. Is solid metal except for patina. Looks melted and smooth on small end where I knocked patina off.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why 3 pics came up, oh well.... notice the score mark where I knocked off patina.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in a remote creek "under the cliffs" above Grayson lake.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a similar find near Grayson Lake and he posted pictures. His metal had looked like it had been poured out onto the ground. In the thread he posted what metals they contained, a mix of lead, silver, zinc and antimony as I recall. He had it tested with a spectrometer I think. More and more evidence of silver/lead mines in that area. What you have must have been poured into a mold because of its odd shape? Or, maybe it was some kind of jewelry the Indians wore? Best suggestion is to take to a college or university for an assessment, but don't leave it with them! Maybe if you know someone who is a jeweler? Good luck! Very unusual find you have!

Here is the link to the thread of the other metal find in that area.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-silver-mines-jonathan-swift/530130-swift-silver.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe how shiny it is where the patina is gone. The score marks give me the impression it was to be measured out or cut . I believe it was all the same size as the big end and was melted down. Not sure but looks that way.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt if it were possible but maybe it was poured into a powder horn or similar and cooled into that form. The patina may be what is left of the horn material after all these years? The scored markings may be the natural growth rings of a ram or sheep's horn? ...just guessing. You could test the end with a sharp knife, lead is very soft and will not dull a knife, silver is much harder...of course an alloy will be somewhere in between.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a spru from a pour? ..when you melt metals you need a flux (something that binds with the impurities) to help make it more pure. Maybe someone poured a mold and the flux came to the top and then the top (which might contain the flux) was led into that shape, then discarded..the remaining metal was good and this broken off from it?

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Curtis,,, this is Wesley,,, formerly coonhunter on here. We met in Elliott county and went to our gorge. I don't think it was poured in a horn ,,, it is triangle in shape ,, look close at top on big end. Patina comes from being in creek for years I guess. also material is very hard and not lead ,,, too shiny also. I have lead bricks for shooting from my lead sled,,,here at my house,, it is not lead,,, not as heavy as lead either.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sheep,

Yes, I remember you Coonhunter, its good seeing you are still interested in thing related to swift. That was a great day, exploring your house to be site.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tested it with magnet,,,, it is non magnetic,,, and sets the metal detector off on the high end. I really may have something here.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sheep herder I've spent alot of time in the Caney area. I've got several pieces that I've found, and have had them tested. Results show that my pieces haven't been refined yet. They were mostly Zinc, lead and Antimony with percentages of silver in the teens. Hopefully yours will have higher percentages.
It's great to see someone else show interest.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The probability of 2 different finds in the same locality and both containing lead and silver is remote unless both finds were near their source! It would be odd for these pieces to be lost in the same general area...pretty much confirms to me these objects were made near where they were found. The only other option would be someone in the past dropped them to salt the area for someone to find...remote but possible.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece was man made ,, and many years ago,,, the patina is thick.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The probability of 2 different finds in the same locality and both containing lead and silver is remote unless both finds were near their source! It would be odd for these pieces to be lost in the same general area...pretty much confirms to me these objects were made near where they were found. The only other option would be someone in the past dropped them to salt the area for someone to find...remote but possible.

I'm assuming the pieces are all made from one source, or at least a group of mines in the same local. Indian mines, French, Spanish, possibly Swift.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was brought in as a stolen or looted treasure, up river, then lost or abandoned , later to be discovered and melted to coins and such?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was brought in as a stolen or looted treasure, up river, then lost or abandoned , later to be discovered and melted to coins and such?

The shapes of what has been shown here and by Brushy would not support that thought, also, if stolen or looted treasure all the samples would be much more pure silver?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread