All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with story and have tried to keep up on here from time to time.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't slice it ,, too hard. It is also solid and not a tube. Gonna have a pawn shop acid test it as soon as I can.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Tested it with magnet,,,, it is non magnetic,,, and sets the metal detector off on the high end. I really may have something here.

My metal detector will show a high end with lead. Silver will usually ring higher than gold FYI..

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOO MY GOSH<<<< I pulled my Garrett GTI out of the closet,, put new batteries in,,, put on discriminate mode and got a BEAUTIFUL ding ,, just like a silver dollar. I am going Monday or Tuesday to town and get it acid tested at the local pawn shop. I have not been this excited about something in a long time. For the record, I did not find this piece,, my neighbor , Joe, and I were Turkey hunting and mushroom hunting and he picked it up and said , look , what's this and handed it to me. At the time there was so much patina you could not see any silver or shiny. I said I did not know what it was. He said he did not want it and I stuck it in my pocket. Got back home and scraped the patina off small end and was shocked. If this is silver,,, WOW,,,, could this be a piece of the puzzle to "Sprinkle dollars" or Swifts mines?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOO MY GOSH<<<< I pulled my Garrett GTI out of the closet,, put new batteries in,,, put on discriminate mode and got a BEAUTIFUL ding ,, just like a silver dollar. I am going Monday or Tuesday to town and get it acid tested at the local pawn shop. I have not been this excited about something in a long time. For the record, I did not find this piece,, my neighbor , Joe, and I were Turkey hunting and mushroom hunting and he picked it up and said , look , what's this and handed it to me. At the time there was so much patina you could not see any silver or shiny. I said I did not know what it was. He said he did not want it and I stuck it in my pocket. Got back home and scraped the patina off small end and was shocked. If this is silver,,, WOW,,,, could this be a piece of the puzzle to "Sprinkle dollars" or Swifts mines?

I hope you remember 'exactly' where you found it, probably worth an afternoon with the Garrett in the same area. If it was spillage and on a hillside, check up hill...was there a rockhouse above it? If it is silver it could be be Indian, Swift or Sprinkle/counterfit work. My bet is it will be similar to what Brushy B had found, an alloy of similar metals not yet refined.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

My detector works good if you need someone to help..wink, wink..lol

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope my this is not just some chunk of aluminium and I have wasted everybody's time. My friend Shelly is a scrap metal buyer and knows the owner of Midwest metals and is gonna see when we can get it tested with his " spectro gun?" Says it will tell exactly what it is made of.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope my this is not just some chunk of aluminium and I have wasted everybody's time. My friend Shelly is a scrap metal buyer and knows the owner of Midwest metals and is gonna see when we can get it tested with his " spectro gun?" Says it will tell exactly what it is made of.

I don't think aluminum oxidizes like the patina you described. All of the aluminum I have seen gets a powder on it as it oxidizes. Its almost chalky.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It could also be oxidized impurities in the metal. It would need further smelting to extract the desired metal.

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the acid test man at the pawn shop said it was not Sterling Silver,,, his test only was to prove no impurities,,, it has impurities.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm bettin' you have a piece similar in content to Brushy's pieces. Still very significant if it has silver in it! If you two get together with your find locations you deduce where they were smelted, and the mine should not be far from there!

OP
OP
S

sheepherder

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had it tested today at MWM.... it was about 70 % zinc , 20 % copper and some other stuff,,,, but no silver... my retirement dreams "Swiftly" destroyed.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had it tested today at MWM.... it was about 70 % zinc , 20 % copper and some other stuff,,,, but no silver... my retirement dreams "Swiftly" destroyed.

Copper? interesting...wonder if it came from the Great Lakes/Isle Royal mines. That might be an Indian piece/artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread