Oct 2, 2021
IMG_0692.JPG

OP
OP
R

RZY2K

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2021
Fantasy cobb coin. Not real. Sorry....maybe next time !!
Why would someone go to the trouble to hide something in the sand for such a long time, and it be encrusted with marine crustacean which as you might know attaches itself permanently to a variety of surfaces. this has bothered me can this be said it's not real I am so glad that God allowed me to make such a find please thanks to all for your input positive or other wise I need to hear what ever it might be.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why would someone go to the trouble to hide something in the sand for such a long time, and it be encrusted with marine crustacean which as you might know attaches itself permanently to a variety of surfaces. this has bothered me can this be said it's not real I am so glad that God allowed me to make such a find please thanks to all for your input positive or other wise I need to hear what ever it might be.
You asked and you received the replies from very knowledgeable members that are experienced in this topic.
Fantasy piece is what you have.
Been around for decades.
I have dug things up that are really deep in the sand, yet not old.
"The shifting sands of time"
Will uncover/conceal items new and old.
So you have a item that is mass produced, thrown out in the sea, or buried in the sand.
Harmless little joke played on the detecting folks that look for treasures.
You fell for it as many have, many will "Hook-line-and sinker"
Better luck next time.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is it gold? It's not a real coin, but it could be gold jewelry which would still be an awesome find.

OP
OP
R

RZY2K

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2021
THIS WAS OVER 18 INCHES DEEP USING THE EQUINOX 800
thank you such a great response! SOME OTHERS SEEM TO RTHINK IT COULD NOT BE REAL. UNLESS IT WAS A DIME OR NICKEL OR EVEN A INDIAN HEAD WHY IT CANNOT BE REAL IS BESIDES ME. BUT THANK YOU! that lifted me up

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"They" didn't hide it, the ocean tides did, it appears to be a replica coin, and quite common to find on the East coast of US. there are hundreds of businesses along the east coast that have sold and given away thousands of them over the years. Have it tested to see if it is gold or silver, just don't get your hopes up till it is tested. Finds like these are posted here pretty regularly.

It would help if you posted pictures that are in focus too. all the pictures are out of focus.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to be the bearer of bad news....please understand that I'm not trying to be negative.....from what I can make out in the pics, it looks like other fake ones I've found in the past....I could be wrong and you should take it to an expert for proper I.D. I did not mean to disappoint you so badly.....good luck with your ID, HAPPY HUNTING !!
20211010_171936.jpg

This is just a few found on one day. I have found many other types of fakes !!

filo

May 6, 2009
Sorry, this is an extremely fake coin. It is clearly cast and not stamped as a real coin would be. Also clearly not made of gold. Sorry to bring the bad news and I'm sure it was quite exciting to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread