what is it???

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello,
this has me confused&hope someone can figure this out for me...i thought it unusual as it has a chinese soldier&cannon w/the statue of liberty in the background.any ideas? thanks everybody!!!

Attachments

• 2 434.jpg
    2 434.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 737
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
under the soldier is a map that looks like part of(eastern)the U.S.A. and asia w/chinese characters on certain areas...

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a "enlightened" picture for you.
Scott

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 646
Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's a piece that was lost in the future, a medal commemorating the Chinese occupation of the USA. You must have been detecting in a time space warp portal area. ::) :tongue3:

Really though, it is interesting. I suspect Japanese as well, but that's just a hunch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks EVERYBODY!...It is like an ashtray,more like a PIN-TRAY,5IN. BY 4IN.,But at the top it reads "statue of liberty N.Y."so the japenese copy of the statue seems to be out! no makers mark.but thank's again to EVERYBODY!!!

Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I've been trying to narrow down the object with no luck. The thought does strike me that it may be something related to occupied Japan after WWII.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya it's a tuff one! i was thinking something to do with the BOXER REBELLION but have found nothing concerning that...it is obviously some type of souviner but WHY??? such an odd combination.i'm sure someone out there know's&this is the perfect fourm to figure it out!again THANK;S Everyone!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obtained in Erie,PA., Not dug,sorry if i gave off that impression! i'd love to SOLVE this! till next time!

Upvote 0

fish4walleye

Greenie
May 27, 2008
upstate,NY
Going to take this another route,probably way off base but,,Could the officer be a member of or represent France in some way.The statue of Liberty was a gift from France if my history memory is correct

Upvote 0

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Well, this should help solve the mystery:

The uniform the soldier is wearing is a Japanese Imperial Army uniform, dating from 1905-1939. After 1939, the kepi (the type of hat worn by the soldier), was changed to a much shorter style. Judging by the picture, the kepi looks to be from around the WWI era. This could be confirmed if there is a 5-point star on the hat, which I can't tell from the photo. However, the cannon appears to be pre-WWI.

This suggests that the item in question was a commemorative plaque made to commemorate the 1905 Treaty of Portsmouth, which was a treaty signed in the U.S. (in Portsmouth, NH) by the emporer of Japan and the czar of Russia. The treaty was brokered by President Theodore Roosevelt, which ended the Russo-Japanese War. Roosevelt was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize shortly thereafter. This treaty also strengthened US-Japanese relations, which would explain the presence of the Statue of Liberty.

Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Japanese, (the rising sun in the middle), wonder if a Japanese fleet ever entered U.S. waters. Maybe in the 1890's? I know they were our ally in World War One.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zendog64sound's like your on to something! sounds good to me,for further research...i've added a closer pic of soldier he has a 5 pointed star&he's not french unless an ambassador.and a few others of the map below him for possible translation...Thanks zendog64!!!&everybody else!

Attachments

• 2 540.jpg
    2 540.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 2 532.jpg
    2 532.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 2 530.jpg
    2 530.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 2 529.jpg
    2 529.jpg