traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly certain a pill holder. Too tight for the old safety matches. Inside only maybe a quarter of an inch.
Yours much better shape than mine. I found mine at an old home site that saw habitation from early 1800s till mid nineteen hundreds, and lots of Civil War activity. The little nob is to hook finger nail to open.

Attachments

• 20220423_203818.jpg
    20220423_203818.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220423_203812.jpg
    20220423_203812.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
I am fairly certain a pill holder. Too tight for the old safety matches. Inside only maybe a quarter of an inch.
Yours much better shape than mine. I found mine at an old home site that saw habitation from early 1800s till mid nineteen hundreds, and lots of Civil War activity. The little nob is to hook finger nail to open.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm a little afraid to try and open it, I would probably destroy it. The area I found it in, although is a city park, apears to have been an old dump site at some point. I have found lots of old cans, broken canning jars etc... things you would expect to find at a landfill.

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm a little afraid to try and open it, I would probably destroy it. The area I found it in, although is a city park, apears to have been an old dump site at some point. I have found lots of old cans, broken canning jars etc... things you would expect to find at a landfill.
It is very thin and will break easily. You might try soaking in something like gentle soap and VERY gently try to push open. Advise? Not sure I would try it for it could get ruined. It is a nice find like it is. Good job. If you do try to open, and I am not recommending that, let us know how it goes.
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 2

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too small. I found two lipstick cases. This is for pills, nitro pills. Good guess though.
There were smaller versions of the lipsticks that fit into the old compacts w/mirror too. Let me check tomorrow. I may have a few samples. I love a good mystery.

Upvote 1

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here is what I have after a bit of searching under "antique" on google.
Nitro pill cases I saw have a loop connected to the top so you can wear it around your neck.
The aspirin cases I saw had screw on type lids I'm guessing to keep moisture out.
The match holders had a different type mechanism to hold the lid in place.
The lipstick holders came in a variety of sizes and had a similar latch like yours has. The ones that fit into a compact were smaller like the one I am holding in my hand. It doesnt even measure 2".

I'm hoping I'm wrong and it's something else, but that's what I have.
If I look through my relics I may have one, but no time right now. I know they are fragile and will fall apart easily as mentioned above.
Happy hunting!

Attachments

• ls1.jpg
    ls1.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 23
  • ls4.jpg
    ls4.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 24
  • ls6.jpg
    ls6.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 31
  • ls2.jpg
    ls2.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ls5.jpg
    ls5.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 23
  • ls3.jpg
    ls3.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 1

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't matches longer than two inches?

Is it metal? Possibly part of an early model bicycle?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
OK, here is what I have after a bit of searching under "antique" on google.
Nitro pill cases I saw have a loop connected to the top so you can wear it around your neck.
The aspirin cases I saw had screw on type lids I'm guessing to keep moisture out.
The match holders had a different type mechanism to hold the lid in place.
The lipstick holders came in a variety of sizes and had a similar latch like yours has. The ones that fit into a compact were smaller like the one I am holding in my hand. It doesnt even measure 2".

I'm hoping I'm wrong and it's something else, but that's what I have.
If I look through my relics I may have one, but no time right now. I know they are fragile and will fall apart easily as mentioned above.
Happy hunting!
Thanks for the research Modernminer. It measures about 5/16" in diameter, I'm not sure that would be big enough for a lipstick holder and how would lipstick be dispensed? It's to small for an aspirin container. Not very many matches would fit and even then you would have to break them in half. I'm still debating on how I can get it open without destroying it, to see what's inside, any suggestionsf?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
Aren't matches longer than two inches?

Is it metal? Possibly part of an early model bicycle?
I don't think it's a part for something. It is a container with a thumbnail nob to open the cap.
It is made of a non-ferrous metal. It rang up at about 13 on my Equinox800 metal detector. That is where a US nickel would register. So maybe copper or nickel although copper rings in at around 24, so maybe a combination of things.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread