What is the most valuable coin that you have lost?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Whether you lost it, misplaced it, whatever - what is the one that got away?

For me, it is a 1937-D 3-legged Buffalo nickel in XF condition. I'm hoping it is only misplaced, but I am slowly coming to acceptance that it is gone. The monetary value isn't such a blow to me, but knowing what I had and not knowing where it is is the monkey on my back.

So what is your most valuable coin that has been lost?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5 Us gold coin I hid from the carpet guys fall of 2017. In a flip somewhere in the house.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I clearly remember hiding in in the first spot, then changing my mind and going to spot #2. I may have even given it to my daughter. I can't remember anymore.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones the thieves stole when they broke in and stole collection of coins, a 5 gallon acid jug of wheat pennies, fishing equipment, guns, and civil war collections.
I did justice on one, the other was in prison at the time.
REMEMBER THIS, the insurance company will pay a dollar for each silver dollar, a penny for a penny, etc. Everything else they depreciate it.You have to have a "rider" on specific items, or you're toast trying to get anything out of your insurance company.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The ones the thieves stole when they broke in and stole collection of coins, a 5 gallon acid jug of wheat pennies, fishing equipment, guns, and civil war collections.
I did justice on one, the other was in prison at the time.
REMEMBER THIS, the insurance company will pay a dollar for each silver dollar, a penny for a penny, etc. Everything else they depreciate it.You have to have a "rider" on specific items, or you're toast trying to get anything out of your insurance company.

Sorry about the thieving. I'm well-aware of having additional insurance covering collectibles, but it is a good point for the rest of the audience. Also, items must be independently appraised and itemized. Most individuals do not carry additional insurance and make the uneducated presumption that their home owner's insurance covers the contents.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on the value but I had an almost complete set of Napoleon coins in different conditions. It was the pride of my collection at my younger age. We were newlyweds and starting doing foster care respite on weekends. Had a teenager one weekend that roamed around the house. Noticed a few days later my coin collection was disappeared....left a bad taste in my mouth..

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not sure on the value but I had an almost complete set of Napoleon coins in different conditions. It was the pride of my collection at my younger age. We were newlyweds and starting doing foster care respite on weekends. Had a teenager one weekend that roamed around the house. Noticed a few days later my coin collection was disappeared....left a bad taste in my mouth..

Sorry to hear that. Not to excuse the behavior, but in many instances, the impulsive behavior isn't to enrich themselves. But rather, while growing up, they "own" so little that they impulsively take. My Aunt fostered and ended up adopting the child. From the get go, I gave the girl a large coin collection. It had a large quantity, but no single coin had substantial value. She was thrilled and treasured the coins as if I bestowed great wealth upon her. I figured it would keep her content and less interested in my actual collection.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

For me, it is a 1937-D 3-legged Buffalo nickel in XF condition. I'm hoping it is only misplaced, but I am slowly coming to acceptance that it is gone. The monetary value isn't such a blow to me, but knowing what I had and not knowing where it is is the monkey on my back.

Honest as the day is long...my first Seated coin. Found it, showed to to my buddies in the field, I thought I put it in the safest sleeve in my wallet, and still lost it. An 1877 dime, never to be seen again.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Honest as the day is long...my first Seated coin. Found it, showed to to my buddies in the field, I thought I put it in the safest sleeve in my wallet, and still lost it. An 1877 dime, never to be seen again.

Ugh, that one has to hurt. Did you return to the location in the event it was lost on site?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'd have to say it's a clad dime! I haven't really lost any coins (that I know of lol). Also, the only reason I know I lost it is because I found it the next time I detected that same site.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1739 8 reales. I left my coin collection in the care of a relative when I went away to college. A few coins vanished. That was the one I was the most disappointed to lose. The most valuable coins were left untouched. They were not big or old so they did not attract attention.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No coin that I remember but when I went to VietNam I left my immaculate 57 chevy convertible in the care of my brother and when I came back it was gone. He had sold it. He is the black sheep in the family. The car was only 13 years old at the time. Pearl silver with red and white interior. Now I am getting depressed again.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
3-$2.50 gold coins (1912,'13 and '14) stolen from my Texas apartment in 1973. I never knew I had been robbed until the Dallas PD knocked on my door to state they had arrested the bad guy who had admitted the theft and location. No, by the time the PD nabbed him, the coins had been sold.
Don....

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Ugh, that one has to hurt. Did you return to the location in the event it was lost on site?

Yes. It wasn't there but I got one good signal which I couldn't dig due to darkness. Went back the next day and dug a barber dime. My guess is that it slipped out when I tried to show it to a buddy at my first stop that day, most likely fell inside his truck cab. I'll never use the wallet again for concrete safety.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1862 graded MS 62 $20 Liberty head. Someone stole it from our car when we ran in the store. It was the prize piece of my grandpas collection he was passing on.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

UPDATE: I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to give an update. I found the 3-legged Buffalo and submitted it for grading (this way, I was less likely to lose it - again). It came back AU-58 (better than my initial raw grading). I won't lose it again as it will go to a new owner in less than a week as I consigned it with Sedwick's Treasure Auction (along with about 30 other high end coins). For those looking to add a genuine 3-legged Buffalo to their collection, check out the once lost but found one.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1776 4 reales in pristine condition. I showed it to an interested house guest, then after he left the kitchen I put it under the silverware holder in the kitchen drawer because he seemed too interested and I didn't want to leave it out. Weeks later when I went to retrieve it, it was gone. All I can think is that he heard me open the drawer and knew to look there or my roommate scooped it. I also lost the only cob I ever found within 10 minutes of digging it. It was raining and I dropped it in my trash pouch instead of putting it somewhere secure but never saw it again when I cleaned out the pouch and the car and even returned to the site. I also can't find my trime/ half dime collection but I think its in my bank box. Its so hard to access it i haven't checked whats in there since before covid. I see how people lost those tiny coins they're hard to hold onto.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
UPDATE: I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to give an update. I found the 3-legged Buffalo and submitted it for grading (this way, I was less likely to lose it - again). It came back AU-58 (better than my initial raw grading). I won't lose it again as it will go to a new owner in less than a week as I consigned it with Sedwick's Treasure Auction (along with about 30 other high end coins). For those looking to add a genuine 3-legged Buffalo to their collection, check out the once lost but found one.

I hope it sold for close to the upper end of the estimated value. That's a nice coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread