🔎 UNIDENTIFIED what is this brass item?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I found this brass "3" at a yard sale this morning. Anyone recognize it?
I thought it might be part of a kilt decoration or something, but if I was so darn smart I wouldn't be asking you guys to help me!
Any suggestions appreciated! IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ummm... nope, it's not from a fire helmet or apartment door. The wide oval encirling the European-style number is a military strap/belt with a buckle and overlapping strap-tip at the bottom... as seen on several versions of British Army Regimental-insignia uniform buttons. For examples, see buttons of the 79th and the 96th Regiments... and MANY of the "named" Regiments. Scroll down through the historical British Military buttons here:

Upvote 7
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Ummm... nope, it's not from a fire helmet or apartment door. The wide oval encirling the European-style number is a military strap/belt with a buckle and overlapping strap-tip at the bottom... as seen on several versions of British Army Regimental-insignia uniform buttons. For examples, see buttons of the 79th and the 96th Regiments... and MANY of the "named" Regiments. Scroll down through the historical British Military buttons here:
Thank you! I was unable to find one like it-any idea of the age of this piece? Thanks!

Upvote 2

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not doubting your assessment but sure would like to see a known example of this 3rd Regiment buckle . and can you tell me what it is I'm seeing on the bottom of this buckle at 6 and 7 o clock.

Upvote 1

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ticndig asked:
> can you tell me what it is I'm seeing on the bottom of this buckle at 6 and 7 o clock.

At 6 o'clock, the strap is folded over itself, with the end of the strap hanging below the oval. At 7 o'clock is a strap-buckle. If you want proof, go to the link below and examine the photo on the left there. BTW, the photo can be enlarged. The strap-end (at 6 o'clock) even shows holes in the strap for the buckle's tongue. Just like you see on jhamner's find.

And another Regiment's button, with the oval strap even more clearly visible:

Also note, there are many other British Regimental buttons at that site which show the oval strap encircling the main emblem. (The site has 54 pages of British Military buttons.)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Ticndig asked:
> can you tell me what it is I'm seeing on the bottom of this buckle at 6 and 7 o clock.

At 6 o'clock, the strap is folded over itself, with the end of the strap hanging below the oval. At 7 o'clock is a strap-buckle. If you want proof, go to the link below and examine the photo on the left there. BTW, the photo can be enlarged. The strap-end (at 6 o'clock) even shows holes in the strap for the buckle's tongue. Just like you see on jhamner's find.

And another Regiment's button, with the oval strap even more clearly visible:

Also note, there are many other British Regimental buttons at that site which show the oval strap encircling the main emblem. (The site has 54 pages of British Military buttons.)

Thanks to all for all your help! I'm going to mark this thread solved-IF I can figure out how to do so!

Upvote 2

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hoping one of this forum's UK Militaria ID-helpers would speak up, to tell us what the object specifically is. I've never seen anything like it. Based on its size compared to the US dime in your photo, I can only guess that it is a hat-insignia, or as you guessed, a kilt decoration.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread