What is this Bronze looking thing?

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Approximately 3" in diameter, the wording is "JERUSALEM" and the reverse is just flat with no relief or words. Found in dirt while gardening, it appears to be bronze. I want to say part of belt buckle but I doubt it. Note the strategic holes (under the S and at the end of the word) meaning it was attached to something? Anyone have any idea what this is?
buckle2.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought was prayer token. But it's too big for that.

My guess is it was part of a souvenir plaque.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Okay, the book you want is Judaic Tokens and Medals by Sylvia Haffner. Unfortunately the book may be harder to find than the medal. If you are lucky, somebody here can identify it straight off.

Chip V.

Upvote 0

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
aww comon you can tell thats a treasure key, find some architecture that looks like that in Jerusalem, that matches what on the front of that coin, line it up , look throught the little hole and thats where the treasure is :)
.........hey ya never know i mighta just watched too many movies

DanTheMan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. Here goes some detective work.

If it was made in or near Jerusalem it was for the tourist trade as it is printed in English.

Jerusalem was under British contol from 1917 and then partially under Israeli from 1947, fully under Israeli contol from 1967. So, I'd put it no earlier than 1917.

Paperweight? Bible holder opener for a preacher at the pulpit?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread