What is this. Found on Blewitt pass. Non magnetic 8 .67 ounces. Thought maube Germinate?

Magnew360

Greenie
May 9, 2022
20220317_212422.jpg

Attachments

• 20220317_212959.jpg
    20220317_212959.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 2

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry...the pic is awful. Could you take a better, in-focus pic in natural light, and set something beside it as a size reference?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blewett Pass in Washington state is an historic gold mining area. Placer and hard rock mining. Your piece kind of looks like pyrite, but it also looks like slag. What the gold colored "vein" is, will be up to you to determine. Smash some of the yellow stuff with a hammer. If it flattens you have something. If it crumbles, you don't. Millions in gold have been recovered in the area. There are still more than 70 active claims in that district, so you should make sure you're not collecting on someone's claim.

OP
OP
M

Magnew360

Greenie
May 9, 2022
Blewett Pass in Washington state is an historic gold mining area. Placer and hard rock mining. Your piece kind of looks like pyrite, but it also looks like slag. What the gold colored "vein" is, will be up to you to determine. Smash some of the yellow stuff with a hammer. If it flattens you have something. If it crumbles, you don't. Millions in gold have been recovered in the area. There are still more than 70 active claims in that district, so you should make sure you're not collecting on someone's claim.
State property. Found by accident post fires and record snows. Thought it to be aluminum upon first glance, however the specific gravity is in the Germanite range. Not much of that in this area. Puzzled?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent many summers on the middle fork of the Teanaway. Drove over Blewett a number of times. We used to stop at a rock shop in Liberty, for Ellensburg Blue rough, but never got out to look around much. Cool specimen, by the way.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All of WA is a fantastic, magical place.... I do not think any of the other 49 states have the same level of diversity of climate, landforms and biosphere... not to mention a roaring economy.

OP
OP
M

Magnew360

Greenie
May 9, 2022
All of WA is a fantastic, magical place.... I do not think any of the other 49 states have the same level of diversity of climate, landforms and biosphere... not to mention a roaring economy.
Any ideas? Non magnetic meets spec gravity for Germanite?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Galean or lead with pyrite, maybe some silver ore as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread